A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
NPR’s Marketing & Branding team is responsible for building brands, as well as growing and engaging audiences for NPR. The team seeks to further the reach and impact of everything NPR puts out into the world — from up-to-the-minute digital and broadcast content to on-demand podcasts, events, videos, apps, and smart speaker content.
We are looking for a creative, bold, big-ideas designer to join our fast-paced team of copywriters, designers, strategists, and campaign managers. This individual will apply creative savvy, top-notch design expertise, and brand-building chops to strengthen NPR’s brand and attract new users to its ever-growing portfolio of shows.
This individual will create brands and marketing campaigns that are seen by millions every day. They will center their work on NPR’s top ambition: To engage younger, more diverse audiences with our compelling editorial programming and first-rate investigative journalism.
All applicants must submit a portfolio, which will be the primary source of evaluation for this role. Please link to your online portfolio in your application and your résumé.
This individual will:
- Conceptualize and create brand systems for new NPR podcasts, programs, products and properties. Elements will include (but are not limited to): Logos, podcast tiles, key art, typography, color palettes, brand patterns, brand guidelines, social media templates, and brand kit packages.
- Reimagine the brands of existing NPR editorial properties (particularly podcasts) to resonate with younger, more diverse audiences.
- Create brands that are:
- Compelling, by visually expressing the unique ethos and editorial mission of the podcast, program, or editorial property.
- Distinctive, by exploring the visual styles of competitors, identifying what sets this product/property apart, and expressing that unique value through design.
- Carefully consider the NPR parent brand, collaborating with others to create a brand family/hierarchy that makes inherent sense to users.
- Along with the copywriter, conceptualize a unique vision for each campaign, creating and bringing together different elements, including original graphics, copy, content websites, social media, and other marketing materials.
- Help develop the overall campaign approach: its art direction and creative concepts
- Build all campaign assets required for each campaign: digital and social ads, Apple/Spotify art, illustrations, animations, video beginning/end slates, outdoor art, photography, and graphic systems.
- Pay attention to audience research and user testing, adapting to new insights and applying learnings to your work.
Brainstorm Big Ideas
- Actively contribute to team brainstorms, whether in the room or via collaboration tools.
- Invest in the larger mission of a brand and/or campaign. Share big ideas that shape the product beyond the visual design — brand/campaign concepts, copywriting ideas, campaign tactics/executions, social media extensions, new platform activations, and other out-of-the-box ideas.
Work collaboratively and present your own work
- Partner closely with copywriters to imagine brand directions and/or campaign visions.
- Create distinct visual styles based on target audience data, project ambitions, requirements, and limitations — articulated by strategists in creative briefs.
- Prioritize workload and produce top-notch work within tight budgets and deadlines.
- Confidently present ideas, creative concepts, and designs to project stakeholders across NPR and the public radio network.
- Ensure final graphics and layouts are high-quality, align with brand standards, and maintain consistency across brands and campaigns.
EDUCATION: Design degree or equivalent in work experience preferred
- 4-6 years of experience in graphic design and digital advertising. Expertise in branding, typography, key art, illustration, digital, campaign creation, and social media design.
- Experience creating motion graphics and animation (or a willingness to learn).
- Passionate about brands, marketing, and creative campaigns, with a strong grasp of advertising best practices.
- Adept at working in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, news-driven environment.
- Opinionated and confident, yet also open and amenable to feedback from stakeholders and team members. Ability to interpret the deeper intent behind feedback and find the common ground between differing opinions.
- Highly motivated, independent-minded, self-driven, and enthusiastic.
- Able to juggle multiple projects at once. Meets deadlines while paying close attention to details and visual aesthetics.
- Strong presentation skills, with an ability to read a room and tailor presentations accordingly.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite required (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc.).
- Keynote and PowerPoint experience required.
- Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
- Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
- Experience working closely with copywriters preferred.
- Working knowledge of Premiere and/or After Effects is a plus.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law and any other applicable law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.