Global Compensation Director
The People team at Coursera is responsible for building our teams, retaining our amazing talent, and developing programs that create community and promote employee betterment. Currently, we are tackling projects aimed at helping Coursera to continue to scale as a top global company of high-performance teams. We are passionate about fulfilling our company’s mission to transform lives through learning.
As the Head of Compensation you will lead all aspects of compensation across the world (Americas, EMEA and APAC). You will be a trusted partner and advisor within the HR function and to the business. You will provide thought leadership to the company by being accountable for the design, development, enablement, and implementation of the Compensation strategy with a focus on a global compensation strategy, retention and market competitiveness. This position will report to the Head of People Operations. The People Operations team spans Global Operations, People Partners, People Technology & Analytics and Compensation and we are building a solution oriented and innovative team that will support Coursera as we scale and create an employee-centric experience at every touchpoint during the employee lifecycle.
This is a critical role for our rapidly growing organization. This is an opportunity to grow, and implement a global compensation strategy, architecture and mindset across a high-growth company focused on bringing in and retaining the best talent. This is an ideal role for someone who is excited about contributing at both hands-on and strategic levels. The role will be an individual contributor and will build the Total Rewards team as we scale and grow worldwide.
This position is fully remote.
- Evaluate, design, propose, implement, and communicate compensation strategy, programs, policies, and initiatives that competitively position Coursera to attract, retain and empower talent and align with the goals and values of the organization
- Accountable for all compensation and recognition offerings and processes at Coursera (Design, Implementation, Administration and Monitoring)
- Partner with Business and Talent Leaders, CPO and the Compensation Committee to define and implement a compelling compensation strategy
- Coordinate and improve compensation processes across the organization (e.g., annual compensation reviews, annual compensation plan creation) as well as design and guide repeatable practices for job evaluations, market comparison data, pay decisions and governance
- Regularly benchmark activities across all areas of Total Rewards (incentive programs, equity, base compensation, relocation services & packages, etc.) to continuously improve our competitiveness; Provide regular compensation analytics using internal and external tools, to ensure pay parity and market competitiveness
- Develop strong relationships with key members of the Talent, Finance, Revenue, and Operations teams to align our strategies with business priorities; Manage relationships and projects with key external partners, such as compensation consultants and third-party tools and platforms
- Public company experience required plus 8+ years of HR and/or Total Rewards experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Total Rewards or Finance leader roles
- Proven ability to evaluate, design and recommend compensation programs based on market assessment and business strategy preferably for a software/technology company
- Strong knowledge of Workday Advanced Compensation
- Success in simplifying and articulating complex strategies and plans to executive management and peers
- Demonstrable experience understanding the diverse needs of geographic markets and different employee segments; a systems-wide thinker that understands how decisions made within one organization may affect others across the business
- Demonstrated ability to influence different levels of stakeholders and thrives in working with cross-functional teams
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated leadership presence, able to provide recommendations to scale and simplify
- Adept at working at the Board of Director/Compensation Committee level
- Leader with a ‘roll up the sleeves’ style, excellent attention to detail and proven management skills to build a high-performing team with the same attention to detail
- Excellent strategic, analytical and financial skills and a can-do attitude
- A deep understanding of the current market including staying ahead of industry-standard methodologies and future trends of both comp and benefits
- Experience with people management a plus
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $128,000 and $280,000 for all US candidates. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and location. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For California Candidates, please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.
For our Global Candidates, please review our GDPR Recruitment Notice here.