Geologist or Environmental Scientist
Groundwater & Environmental Services, Inc. (GES), is an industry leader with a reputation for excellence in providing environmental consulting, engineering, compliance, and technical field services to clients in diverse market sector.
We are seeking a mid-level Geologist or Environmental Scientist who is a detail-oriented, team player with strong communication, analytical, organizational, problem solving and time management skills, to support environmental remediation project activities in our Richmond, VA office. The successful candidate will work under the supervision and mentorship of senior level geologists in a collaborative and safety-conscious environment.
At GES, our employees are not viewed as assets - they are co-workers and teammates. We bring together talented professionals with diverse backgrounds, expertise, and ideas to help solve our clients’ toughest environmental and infrastructure challenges. Our success is founded on a culture of collaboration, where individuality and skills are embraced. With a regional structure and diverse portfolio of projects and clients, GES provides its engineers the ability to work on projects best suited to their talents and interests.
After more than 30 years in business, we still have that small firm feel and family atmosphere. What’s different today is our growing reach, resources, and impact. Our teams are behind some of the most complex environmental programs in the country, working alongside the most recognizable companies in the world. Our evolution is rooted in the strong personal relationships we build with our clients, our employees, and with the communities we live and work in.
You can expect to work in a friendly environment where you’ll face challenging and rewarding work. Your contributions will make a difference, and your impact will be rewarded. You will have the opportunity to carve out your own career path, while working shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the most talented and dedicated professionals in the industry.
- The position duties and responsibilities are dynamic from day to day and will generally require 60% office work, 40% field work within the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- Responsible for case management of projects with senior oversight.
- Responsible for preparation of work plans and comprehensive technical reports
- Prepares technically accurate, complete and concise work plans based on evaluation of site data needs.
- Performs or manages the implementation of project work plans including staff briefing, scheduling, subcontractor coordination and sample collection.
- Evaluates, analyzes and interprets technical data relative to project-specific goals, creates and interprets accurate data display graphs and figures, completes basic fate and transport analysis, and identifies data gaps and data needs leading to development of a Conceptual Site Model.
- Works with and mentors junior staff to ensure all resources are in place for proper fieldwork and reporting execution.
- Develops and manages budgets, evaluates budget vs. plan and analyzes cost control efficiencies.
- Communicates with clients, third party and regulatory agents regarding project status, schedules and compliance issues.
- Ensure adherence to client and corporate contract specifications in all activities including Health, Safety, Security, and Environment.
Skills and Requirements:
- Must be agreeable to regular travel, including overnight travel, throughout Virginia and the Carolinas.
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Geology, Environmental Science or related discipline.
- 5-7+ years of related experience. Experience must include hands on field and office based in environmental consulting field.
- Case management experience on petroleum and/or industrial projects preferred.
- Must be resourceful with excellent communication and writing skills and possess a high degree of initiative and time management skills.
- Must possess excellent communication and technical writing skills and be able to independently prepare a complete report with a focus on QA/QC.
- Field work requires wearing personal protection equipment and working outdoors in all seasons.
- Experience with Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina regulations a plus.
- Experience associated with environmental permitting that includes natural resources inventory, wetland delineations, species assessments, and environmental sampling (chemical and biological) is a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Adobe, geologic logging/cross section programs required.
- Experience with and/or certification in Virginia Erosion & Sediment Control and Stormwater Management a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with environmental remediation systems a plus.
Our comprehensive benefits include: Hybrid workforce, medical, dental, vision, prescription card, 401k, FSA, LTD, STD, New Parent Leave, 529 CollegeBound Fund, Tuition Assistance, Bonus Plan, and more.
Groundwater & Environmental Services, Inc. (GES) believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. At GES, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law.