The Flow Coordinator facilitates the movement of patients through the Health Center in a safe and efficient manner. This position will communicate effectively with Providers, Clinic Coordinators, Clinical Staff, and Registration Staff in order to ensure patients receive prompt care. Has the ability to multitask in stressful situations in order to effectively manage patient flow through Health Center services. Ensures Health Center cycle time goals are attained.
Primary Functions:Reviews all Provider schedules and appointments at the beginning of the shift to evaluate productivity.
Monitors the following activities in the Health Center during the shift:
- Registration lines
- Provider schedules
- Patients waiting in the chart queue to see Providers
- Patients waiting in the chart queue for lab work
- Patients waiting in the chart queue for a supply visit
- Patients waiting in the exit line
- Communicates effectively with the nursing staff and Providers in order to transfer patients from Providers with multiple patients in the queue to Providers with open appointment slots.
- Makes recommendations to the Clinic Coordinators regarding patient flow.
- Coordinates the movement of patients with Registration staff, Providers, nursing staff, and between practice areas.
- Is the single point person for the Providers regarding their appointments and schedules, in order to facilitate patient flow.
- Monitors exam room availability.
- Monitors the activity of the walk-in Providers and moves patients between providers, with Clinical Coordinator input, in order to ensure patients are seen promptly.
- Ensures patient rescheduling is minimal and only after exhausting all options and with the direction of the Clinical Coordinator on duty.
- Serves as a resource for translators and float CNAs.
- Serves as a resource for translation services either through in-house staff or phone interpretation.
- Evaluates the appointment schedules for the next shift/day/week to identify potential scheduling problems and makes recommendations to resolve problems in advance.
- Is accountable for Health Center cycle time goals.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations to reduce cycle times.
- Assists in mediating conflicts with patients regarding wait time.
- Familiarizes and complies with all VNA policies and procedures.
- Meets standards of behavior expectations.
- Follows established guidelines for use and/or disclosure of protected health information. Employees should report any breaches of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) rules to the Privacy Officer immediately. Failure to comply with HIPAA policies and procedures will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years experience in a medical center setting in a position interacting with patients, Providers and clinical staff.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Excellent multitasking skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills required.
- Ability to work in stressful situations.
- Ability to work effectively as an integral part of the clinical team.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/English as follows: Reading - Preferred. Written – Preferred. Speaking – Preferred.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
- Ability to communicate efficiently, verbally and in writing.
- Tactile, visual, auditory and olfactory senses intact.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer.
- Must be able to sit or stand for prolonged periods.
- Ability to wear a particulate mask.
- Ability to deal effectively with high levels of stress.
- Ability to organize and mange work and multiple priorities, setting objectives and meeting deadlines.