This FinOps Analyst / Senior FinOps Analyst position is an all-remote position. FinOps is an evolving cloud financial management discipline and cultural practice that enables organizations to get maximum business value by helping engineering, finance, technology and business teams to collaborate on data-driven spending decisions. We're looking for a founding member of a new Engineering Analytics team to drive FinOps adoption across GitLab, interfacing with engineering leadership, product management, finance/procurement and the executive suite to best manage our cloud usage and costs.
What you'll do in this role:
- Partner with our Finance & Engineering team to help measure and manage our cloud infrastructure costs.
- Develop and champion cloud infrastructure cost management best practices.
- Create cloud infrastructure benchmarks that our team will utilize.
- Lead our cloud infrastructure budgets and forecasts.
- Partner with our Finance department to increase cost allocation & accounting accuracy.
- Develop an understanding of how our major cloud vendors (such as GCP/AWS/Azure) bill GitLab and analyze these associated costs.
- Create data queries that provide actionable data-driven insights.
- Create actionable, concise, and presentable data visualizations.
- Develop analytical models to provide data-driven guidance on cloud infrastructure spend.
- Develop utilization/forecasting models to predict future outcomes of cloud infrastructure spend and usage.
- Create SQL/Sisense code that meets our guidelines and coding standards.
- Explain trends from data sources and identify opportunities for improvements.
- Interface with leaders to provide timely, accurate and relevant data.
What you'll need to apply
- A track record of using quantitative analysis to generate insights and drive better organizational decision making in cloud infrastructure.
- Clear and concise communication, able to convey complex business logic, and analytical recommendations to stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of SQL and track record of hands-on SQL experience.
- Experience with Data Visualization Tools (E.g. Sisense, Looker, Tableau)
- Experience with performance and optimization problems at scale, demonstrate ability to diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good understanding of data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake)
- Good understanding of data ingestion methodologies (e.g. ETL, ELT)
- Confidentiality in handling sensitive organizational information.
- Proficiency in the English language, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Able to thrive in a fully remote organization.
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.