Financial Reporting Manager
Clearwater Paper (NYSE: CLW) is a publicly held company and a premier supplier of private brand tissue to major retailers, including grocery, drug, mass merchants and discount stores. In addition, the company produces bleached paperboard used by quality-conscious printers and packaging converters, and offers services that include custom sheeting, slitting, and cutting. Clearwater Paper's employees build shareholder value by developing strong relationships through quality and service. Working at Clearwater Paper provides an opportunity to enrich your career through challenging and meaningful work and ongoing training and development—all in a supportive environment. We know our success depends on your success.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The Financial Reporting Manager is a key leader within Clearwater Paper’s corporate accounting team and is responsible for coordinating and preparing internal and external financial reports and filings, complex accounting, technical accounting research, and applicable internal controls. This role will report to the Director, Corporate Accounting, and will regularly interact with cross functional departments and senior leaders, including the VP, Controller.
Reporting & Compliance
- Responsible for managing and preparing key sections of SEC filings including forms 10-K, 10-Q and earnings releases.
- Lead preparation of monthly internal financial statements and reports including the income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement, segment financial information, and footnotes.
- Ensure accurate financial reporting (i.e., tie out preparation or review).
- Assist with external review/audit process and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance procedures.
- Prepare and/or review internal controls to ensure compliance with US GAAP and SOX requirements.
- Responsible for XBRL (iXBRL) tagging of SEC filings.
- Compilation and preparation of defined contribution financial statements.
- Perform/review complex accounting (e.g., lease, pension and equity accounting)
- Perform analytics to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Company’s financials.
- Analyze and understand complex accounting standards, perform technical accounting research and prepare accounting memos.
- Manage the implementation of new accounting standards, as applicable.
- Assist with reviews of transactions entered by the Company for potential accounting impact.
- Assist with updating and maintaining the Company’s accounting policies.
- Develop and/or implement finance process improvement initiatives.
- Support additional projects impacting financial reporting or cross functionally as needed.
Key Competencies & Attributes
- Strong understanding of critical financial business metrics; ability to develop and leverage drive data to quantitively and analytically make business decisions and take smart risks
- Able to think strategically and act tactically
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a matrixed and highly collaborative environment to drive change
- High degree of business curiosity; quick learner with a proactive and agile mindset
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal); able to present complex material in a compelling way to senior managers and non-technical staff
- Demonstrated experience in leading a diverse team– setting vision, strategy, tactics, and delivery
- Demonstrated strong change management skills; aligning and bringing others along
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
- Certified Public Accountant required.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in public accounting and/or external reporting.
- Big 4 experience, strongly preferred
- Strong accounting background with knowledge of US GAAP, SOX 404, and SEC reporting regulations.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals across the organization.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word and database/report writing programs.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels required.
- Ability to problem-solve, work on detail-oriented tasks, manage multiple tasks concurrently and work under tight deadlines required.
Illustrative Essential Functions
Prior to start date, applicants are to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We will make accommodation(s) for applicants who are unable to get vaccinated due to legitimate medical or religious reasons.
- Primarily office environment – some mental, visual and physical fatigue from computer terminal use.
- Up to 25% travel required.