Culture Biosciences is looking for a Controller who is excited to help us grow our Finance team and manage and oversee our company’s finance function.
This is an opportunity to help the most cutting edge biotechnology companies maximize the value of using our cloud bioreactor platform and get their products to market faster. This position will oversee the entire finance operations of the company, to ensure compliance, build financial models and produce data that will aid in day-to-day operations and long term planning, to build the next generation of digital biomanufacturing technologies.
Our customers develop transformative bioproducts. We develop technology that helps them accelerate their manufacturing and path to market. Our cloud bioreactor facility allows biotechnology companies to design, run, and analyze high-throughput bioreactor experiments for microbial and mammalian cell culture through our web application.
What you will do:
The Controller is responsible for all aspects of financial management for Culture and tasked with building an in house accounting team. A successful candidate will be self motivated, excited by a fast paced environment and enjoy solving challenges. The company has previously worked closely with a small accounting firm and is primed for growth and building an internal team. During the first several months you will be working with the current team as we develop our own.
- Identify positions for, build, and scale an in-house Accounting team for our financial infrastructure. Provide leadership and vision for this team.
- Manage our accounting daily activities and finance operations and develop plans for driving efficiency and automation. Oversee and manage AP, AR, journal entries and billing issues to identify resolutions.
- Work with company managers on departmental budgets, building, maintaining and accountability.
- Own the financial close process and all associated activity to deliver accurate and timely reporting to management and the Board of Directors.
- Own financial forecasting, company budget and alternative pro formas.
- Develop the team’s capabilities across a range of sub-functions: general ledger, tax, treasury, payroll, accounts payable, financial reporting, audit and legal.
- Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP.
- Develop, implement and maintain the internal systems and financial controls consistent with Culture’s policies and regulatory guidelines, ensuring compliance with all tax and corporate requirements and filings.
- Understand and document reporting needs, collaborate on operational issues, develop creative solutions, and provide business guidance and insight through financial reporting.
- Own insurance renewals and processing consistent with obligatory requirements and maintain accurate personal property values.
- You have a proven track record of leading and developing account teams
- You are passionate about biomanufacturing and excited to help cutting edge biotechnology companies get their products to market faster.
- You’re excited to work in a small, cross-functional team in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re excited to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- You consider your ability to organize and plan as one of your greatest strengths.
- You are empathetic, curious, and reflective; you’re able to use these skills effectively to efficiently manage a team and communicate with cross-department team leaders.
- You have 10+ years working in finance with:
- Experience leading audits
- Working with multiple entities
- Identifying and integrating ERP systems and supplemental software
- You have 4+ years audit / assurance experience from a Big 4 public accounting firm. CPA is preferred but not required for the role. Preference given for individuals with experience in start-ups
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Paid time off and 10 days of company holidays, including a winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability (on site team members only)
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (on site team members only)
- Support for relevant educational opportunities
Note: Culture Biosciences team members are working from home whenever possible as we do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19. As this changes and we can bring more staff back to the premises, this role has the optionality to be remote, or can be based at our South San Francisco office.
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech to apply.