The Extraction Specialist provides on-site support to the extraction operations within a cannabis cultivation facility. As an Extraction Specialist, you are responsible for the cannabis extraction process and the manufacturing of cannabis concentrates. Extraction Specialists may be cross-trained and asked to support other departments occasionally to meet business needs, including but not limited to the processing of dry cannabis flower.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare equipment, biomass, and raw materials for extraction.
- Execute extractions and post-extraction.
- Operate extraction equipment, such as rotary evaporators, reactors, filtration equipment, etc.
- Ensure the consistency and efficiency of products through quality control testing and procedures.
- Collect samples as needed for quality testing.
- Regularly clean and sterilize equipment and workspace.
- Maintain strict inventory record of raw materials, chemicals, waste, and equipment.
- Manage, document, and dispose lab waste.
- Maintain Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all chemicals and products.
- Follow laboratory safety protocols.
- Monitor and maintain quality control measures in accordance with state and local laws.
- Adhere to company policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment within the facility and production areas.
- Immediately inform Extraction Manager of any system or equipment
- Ensure all products are of high quality and visually aesthetic, reporting concerns to management for remediation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Able to follow detailed instruction and capable of performing repetitive tasks.
- Must have a positive attitude and work well with others in a team environment.
- Willing to learn about, operate, and maintain facility equipment in a safe manner.
- Able to understand proper and safe handling of hazardous materials.
- Must have effective time management and multitasking skills.
- Must have strong computer skills.
- Ability to safely climb, squat, bend, twist, kneel and stand for at least 8 hours per day, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Must be 21 years of age or older and able to successfully register with the state’s cannabis commission as an agent.
- Must comply with all laws, regulations, and policies associated with the industry.
- Associate degree, Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent in a scientific discipline
- Previous experience in a regulated production facility (food, beverage, CPG, etc.) preferred.
- Previous experience in a laboratory setting preferred.
- Knowledge of extractions, separations, isolations, distillation and/or fractionation preferred.
- Hydrocarbon extraction experience highly preferred.
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 50 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in a warehouse environment. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees, our markets and our communities.