External Communications Manager
What makes DHL great? Our People! We know each employee’s individual contributions make us the #1 Express Delivery and Logistics Company in the world.
DHL Express is committed to maintaining an environment that empowers every team member to make the greatest possible impact on our business. Our corporate culture is about personal commitment – to our business, to each other and to our global communities. DHL is dedicated to being a great place to work. In addition to competitive compensation packages, our employees enjoy a range of programs, services and benefits that bring the best to their personal lives.
Grow YOUR career with DHL today…
External Communications Manager, DHL Global Forwarding Americas / DHL Customer Solutions & Innovation
The External Communications Manager, DHL Global Forwarding Americas / DHL Customer Solutions & Innovation is responsible for supporting the Corporate & Marketing Communications agendas of DHL Global Forwarding and DHL Customer Solutions & Innovation in the Americas region, focused primarily on managing media relations. This involves working with management and key internal stakeholders and external media (journalists, influencers) to proactively and positively shape the reputation of DHL Global Forwarding, CSI and Deutsche Post DHL Group, raise public awareness of the company’s capabilities, achievements and leading position in core freight segments, industry sectors, supply chain innovation and increase its media share of voice. This role can be based in New York City or Weston, FL.
DHL Global Forwarding is the leading global freight forwarder, supporting some of the world’s largest shippers with international and domestic air freight, ocean freight and ground freight services, as well as custom brokerage and other value-added logistics activities.
DHL Customer Solutions & Innovation (CSI) is the unit responsible for managing DHL’s largest customers and spearheading the company’s efforts in pioneering and deploying supply chain innovations. It provides specialized support and services for key industry verticals including automotive, energy, engineering & manufacturing, life sciences & healthcare, technology. It also manages the DHL Americas Innovation Center in Chicago, IL.
- Lead development and execution of regional media strategy for DHL Global Forwarding and CSI: manage outreach and engagement with journalists (primarily business and trade media) to drive positive media coverage of DHL Global Forwarding and CSI, including developing content such as press releases, bylined articles, responding to enquiries and organizing media interviews and briefings as appropriate;
- Support the organization of events for external communications as required (press conferences, tours, briefings, sponsorship activations);
- Act as strategic counsel to management and other business stakeholders on media relations and external communications issues; provide media training support as required;
- Support crisis response / issues management activities in close coordination with other business stakeholders (i.e. legal, operations, regulatory affairs), and regional / global communications contacts as appropriate
- Support social media and content management initiatives, particularly relating to engagement of media and influencers (including standalone activities for DHL Global Forwarding and CSI and broader regional campaigns);
- Work in close alignment with Marketing, HR and other relevant business functions to ensure consistency of messaging and maximize commercial/operational impact and relevance of activities;
- Lead selected projects and campaigns for Corporate Communications & Responsibility Americas Team (for example, regional conference, media weeks, partnership activations, internal comms campaigns);
- Identify and implement efficiency improvement measures within external communications, based on monitoring and analysis of KPIs;
- Review and edit partner / customer / vendor communications materials (press releases, written interview responses, by-lined articles), ensure all messages and content clearly communicate and support company’s strategy and business initiatives and adhere to company’s brand guidelines;
- Manage media relations activities of external vendors (i.e. agencies), as appropriate, in support of business objectives.
- Manage relevant administrative duties for function (i.e. reporting, budgeting);
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least seven years of demonstrated communications experience, preferably in a headquarters environment or agency
- Previous work in an international working environment
- Professional qualification in communications / PR and / or relevant experience working with media and external communications within organization
- Ability to create content, establish content calendars and also react to trending developments
- Project management and organizational skills
- Ability to interact and collaborate with all levels of the organization, from senior leaders to front-line employees
- Detail-oriented and commitment to high-quality, professional output
- Good verbal communication. Excellent writing skills and proven written communications experience in various types of corporate communications
- High degree of empathy – ability to handle critical inquiries and multiple stakeholders professionally
- Issues management experience – dealing with critical situations with potential for reputational damage
- Well versed in using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and various media relations tools (i.e. Cision / Meltwater)
- Audio-visual production or design skills
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language skills are an advantage
- Knowledge of logistics / supply chain or B2B / services environment is a plus
- Knowledge of PhotoShop and In-design is a plus
DHL is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic. The EEO is the Law poster is available here.