Executive Technical Product Manager
You must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
This role is part of BBC Studios, our global content company that supports the BBC Public Service mission of maximising the greatest commercial returns to the license payer by building BBC brands, audiences and reputation across the world.
The BBC Studios Product and Technology group is responsible for the design, development and delivery of the Studios portfolio of products.
Our portfolio is diverse but is fully focused on supporting our functions and businesses around the globe whether that be back-office functions, content production or direct to consumer offerings. We are a growing function and will provide an important contribution to the business growth targets over the coming years.
Core to that growth will be the launching of new or enhanced digital products into the market in order to monetize our content offering. You will be joining the team as a key member for shaping and delivering a commercial news subscription offering which is at the mobilisation phase.
Commercial Digital are a multi-function delivery team focused on delivery of world class direct-to-consumer and business-to-business solutions within BBC Studios. We are a small agile team delivering big change. We work in a fast-paced environment more akin to a start-up.
Our products include a number of marquee brands including Britbox, BBC.com and Top Gear as well as a number of market leading B2B products.
You will join a team where everyone - including you – strives to better understand our customers and improve our products on a daily basis.
As a team we are adaptable, supportive, highly business focused and continually looking to improve.
This role provides the opportunity to be part of an exciting and entrepreneurial internationally focused team that values creativity and proactive problem-solving.
We are looking for an experienced, technically focused, product manager to join the team to help shape and deliver a major, enhanced News based Direct-to-Consumer service.
The proposition is at an early stage and we are looking for someone who can work with a wide set of stakeholders within the business and technology teams, to understand the product strategy, business need and technical implications of delivering a multitude of content – video, audio and editorial – to multiple end points.
- Work with stakeholders, key technical staff and within governance groups to understand business needs and drivers, and confirm objectives and priorities
- Adept at moving products from discovery to definition, working with multi-functional stakeholders
- Lead requirement gathering sessions with stakeholders looking to uncover deeper strategic needs and opportunities.
- Develop relationships with pan-BBC and external stakeholders, delivery partners and suppliers as well as with colleagues and senior internal stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to adapt messaging to the right level and language to ensure process, need, approach and outcomes are clearly understood.
- Defines, builds and owns the product roadmap and feature analysis
- Presenting approach to features, rationale and value
- Working with and driving a cross-functional technical team to ensure wing-to-wing solutions fit customer needs
- Overseeing 3rd party application product development and integrations
The Ideal Candidate
- An experienced, technically slanting product manager in the content space: You have experience working with and influencing product strategy, translating those into coherent product propositions and building then delivering an ambitious, outcome-focused roadmaps. You are adept at working with stakeholders at all levels of the organisation to understand the needs and critical outcomes for the product. You motivate your team and the company by elucidating the 'why,' providing context to help them succeed.
- Problem-solving mindset: You will work with and assist teams in developing impactful, structured products to ensure current and future needs are met. Content and metadata will be the life-blood of the product and therefore you need to work across all levels, not just technical delivery of content.
- Technically-minded : You like delving to understand the details of a complex systems and workflow in order to tackle the solve problems, design solution and you can communicate technical nuances to less technically savvy stakeholders.
- An experienced operator: You have substantial product management expertise and working in a matrixed organisation. You’ll be adept at communicating complex technical subject to less savvy technical stakeholders and bring them on the journey with you.
- Have an inquisitive mind: You want to improve BBC Products and all elements of the business, and you're always looking for new methods to do it, quickly becoming a domain expert.
- Excellent product development skills and product life-cycle management including an understanding of agile methodology
- Expertise in content (editorial, video and audio) and metadata delivery
- Deep experience of working in a matrixed organisation to deliver content – both owning and influencing the strategy
- Management of commercial and contractual relationships with third party suppliers and partners
- Working knowledge of BBC output; editorial, compliance and regulatory issues for the BBC and advantage
- Ability to coordinate among multiple business, geographically dispersed stakeholders through an ongoing dialog to ensure product is aligned with business needs and activities