Vox is a user’s guide to the news produced by the reporters and subject issue experts who know it best and Today, Explained – our flagship radio show and podcast – is an audio expression of that mission: a daily news explainer that is both relentlessly reported and ground-breaking in its sonics and storytelling.
We’re looking for a leader who can work closely with our team to continue expanding the show’s ambition and creativity, to develop original reporting and series, and to manage a complex production process which includes both a podcast and a daily radio broadcast.
More broadly, the EP of this show will also be responsible, alongside the hosts, for charting the course for the show’s future: from special projects to brand expansion across a range of platforms. You’ll work closely with leadership to assess the show’s vision and mission, refresh and strengthen programming, and implement plans for ongoing improvement, audience growth and overall business goals.
To that end, the right candidate for this role will be a strong leader with sharp news sensibility, impeccable editorial judgment, and the ability to manage a complex, fast-paced production process. You will be an experienced manager who excels at fostering a creative, joyous team culture while also ensuring the highest standards for journalism and production. You should be equally at home vetting story pitches/weighing in on an edit AND attending meetings with internal and external partners to lead Today, Explained’s expansion.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
WHO WE ARE
Vox candidly shepherds audiences through politics and policy, business and pop culture, food, science, and everything else that matters.
Vox is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Set strategic course for brand and audience expansion; from reporting series to newsletters and beyond.
- Work closely with team to continually set a higher bar for ambitious daily coverage with a focus on relevance and timeliness, and to create more opportunities for longer enterprise-reported features and series.
- Manage Today, Explained’s team of hosts, producers, reporters and editors to ensure we’re positioned to support your ambitious goals and your team’s career growth.
- Ensure the team has resources and support needed to meet goals.
- Work with producers and hosts to facilitate efficient and on-time delivery of high-quality stories and segments for podcast and broadcast.
- Work closely with the hosts to hone and continually evolve the show’s format, structure and sound.
- Set objectives for audience growth and work with data team to monitor and create actionable opportunities based on the data we’re gathering.
- Lead staff recruitment, hiring and retention.
- Oversee the show’s budget, staff scheduling, staff evaluations and overall ecosystem.
WHO YOU ARE
- Experience as the showrunner or manager for a successful podcast or broadcast news program.
- Experience in newsroom management, or as the leader of a team tasked with daily news production.
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for great tape and inventive approaches to audio storytelling.
- Ability to frame and execute business growth opportunities.
- Experience coaching and developing talent in a high pressure environment.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to help employees grow and thrive in their work.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
PLEASE NOTE: Your application should include a brief assessment of Today, Explained, in 3-4 paragraphs. What's working, what's missing, and how would you improve and expand it?
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience.