Rolling Stone, the leading voice of popular culture for more than 50 years, is looking for an executive editor to help oversee our most important longform journalism, guide the magazine, and set the strategy and tone for our growing newsroom.
This is one of the most rewarding jobs in media. The executive editor will shepherd much of Rolling Stone’s most ambitious journalism — epic features, exclusive news, groundbreaking packages, iconic photography and more. The editor will also help set Rolling Stone’s direction as it continues to grow in its second half-century.
But this isn’t a position for someone who wants to sit back and draw up master plans. The executive editor has to be hands-on leader, with a proven track record of landing exclusive features, a strong sense of how a modern magazine should come together, and a sharp eye for photography and design. The ideal candidate has to be a meticulous crafter of copy, a caring manager, an excellent communicator, and a bonafide newshound. Excellent editorial judgment is an absolute must, as is the ability to deliver stories of interest to diverse communities with sensitivity and style.
- Manage some of Rolling Stone’s most ambitious projects.
- Assign and edit major features.
- Guide the print magazine.
- Brainstorm coverage ideas with editors, reporters, videographers, photographers, and social media specialists.
- Serve as a member of Rolling Stone’s senior leadership team, helping set strategy for the brand.
- 10+ years experience with ambitious longform journalism.
- A proven track record of delivering exclusive and high-quality material on deadline.
- Excellent news judgment and communications skills.
- A sharp eye for photography and design.
- The ability to juggle many, many projects at once and keep a cool head under pressure.
- A deep sense of what makes a story right for Rolling Stone.
- A commitment to collaborating with colleagues at every level of the organization.
Typical wage range: $170k - $200k
Factors that could be used to determine your actual salary may include your specific skills, years of experience and comparison to current employees already in this role. The typical candidate is hired below midpoint of the range. The total compensation package for this position will also include other elements, a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits including 401(k) eligibility and paid time off benefits. PMC is committed to the health and wellness of our employees. As part of our company-wide rollout of PMC’s paid healthcare plan, effective for this role July 1, 2024, the company will pay 100% of the monthly health, dental and vision plan premiums for the employee and their family.
If you have more or less experience than specified on this job posting, please apply and list your salary expectations.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors).
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.