Aecon is seeking an Environmental Manager to join the Urban Transportations Solutions group to support a dynamic, transit project in the Greater Toronto Area. We are proud to support a project that is committed to faster and more convenient travel, ultimately keeping our community in mind to support the ease of travel within the city. This starts with bringing aboard the best possible team!
The Environmental Manager shall, under the direction of the Environmental Director, have authority for ensuring the day-to-day implementation of environmental and sustainability obligations set out in the Project Agreement.
- Manage all environmental and sustainability issues associated with the Project on a day to-day basis, including overseeing the environmental monitoring and follow-up program in accordance with the Environmental Reference Documents, Additional Environmental Reports, Applicable Law and any applicable Permits, Licenses and Approvals;
- Ensure effective operation of the Environmental Management System on a day-to-day basis;
- Ensure that environmental and sustainability issues are addressed, and requirements are met in accordance with the Environmental Reference Documents, Additional Environmental Reports and the Project Agreement;
- Manage the implementation of the Sustainability Management Plans and all sustainability issues associated with the Project on a day-to-day basis.
What You'll Do Here
- Oversee the implementation of the environmental plans and programs developed by the different Segments of the Project, including air quality and dust control, noise and vibration monitoring, groundwater management, surface water runoff management, other environmental monitoring and programs.
- Works with team members, including subcontractors, to oversee compliance with contractual and regulatory requirements.
- Performs field inspections, surveys and walk downs of environment related activities to oversee field activities, conditions and results correspond with the environmental plans and programs.
- Identifies and reports environmental issues and concerns to the Management Team and recommends appropriate corrective actions.
- Identifies opportunities for continual improvement within the context of project execution and works with the Management Team to develop and implement proactive strategies.
- Responsible for the preparation of a variety of environmental checklists and reports as per contractual requirements that are the project's responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with relevant Governmental Authorities and Stakeholders in cooperation with the Contracting Authority Representative.
- Ensure effective delivery of the Annual Sustainability Reports and the development and implementation of the Sustainability Management Plans on an ongoing basis.
- Support the Environmental Director in the development of the Sustainability Management Plans.
- Ensure effective development, tracking and monitoring of environmental and sustainability metrics in-line with best practice standards.
What You Bring to the Team
- Bachelor or advanced degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a specialization in planning, environmental planning, geography or another related discipline.
- 10 years of management work-related experience for projects of similar size, scope and complexity to the Project.
- Experience in successfully managing all Environmental Aspects of transit projects in Ontario.
- Experience with implementation and management of environmental management systems that conform to ISO 14001.
- Experience liaising with other specialty consultants, contractors and Governmental Authorities; and experience with similiar projects.
- Experience in environmental monitoring, oversight, and/or reporting.
- Knowledge of Ontario’s Transit Project Assessment Process, GO Transit Class EA Document, and Environmental Assessment Act (Ontario);
- Knowledge of relevant federal and Ontario environmental policies, procedures and legislation.
- Excellent analytical ability, oral/written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing and leadership skills.
- Building effective teams, collaboration, and promoting a teamwork culture.
- Perform effectively in a fast-paced, start-up environment – comfortable to act with uncertainty and able to quickly and effectively create new systems, policies and procedures with limited resources for quality and timely implementation.
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.