Environmental Health Safety & Security Manager
The role of Environmental, Health, Safety, and Security (EHSS) will be responsible for leading EHS&S initiatives at the site level including site and company goals, EHS&S compliance and improvement projects, development and implementation of policies, systems and programs to ensure EHS&S excellence and the health and safety of all associates and visitors working at the facility.
- Establish EHS&S vision, strategies, and execution plans in partnership with the site leadership team.
- Monitor current and emerging EHS&S regulations to understand and proactively respond to changes that potentially impact site operations.
- Provide leadership and governance of the site Environmental, Health, Safety, and Security programs.
- Lead, maintain and participate in the preparation of EHS&S procedures, manuals, audits, reports, and EHS&S physical library.
- Manage the environmental permit application process.
- Oversee the site regulatory calendar, ensuring timely completion of required activities including submittals of required reports, process hazard analysis, audits, and environmental permit renewals, etc.
- Responsible for hazardous and residual waste management to ensure timely disposal at permitted waste disposal facilities
- Manage site medical surveillance program.
- Manage site industrial hygiene and occupational safety programs including exposure assessments, and industrial hygiene plan.
- Manage the operating budget for the EHS&S Department.
- Act as primary contact with EHS&S regulatory agencies including EPA, OSHA, DOE, and other federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to safety, health, and environmental regulations.
- Provides leadership and coaching for the EHS Department including EHS Lead, PSM Engineer, Training Coordinator, and Site Safety representatives
- Interface closely with site personnel and outside contractors to ensure that site complies with safety, health, environmental, and security programs and that the programs are effective and maintained. Consult with the Engineering, Maintenance & Site Director on an “as needed” basis for guidance.
- Lead monthly safety meetings with business leaders and site managers. Provide mentorship and guidance to site safety committee members, and participate in monthly safety committee meetings. Provide guidance to site leaders on coaching for safe work practices.
- Conduct safety audits and develop plans with local branch leadership to resolve any discrepancies identified. Safety audits may include a general review of facilities and specific jobs for possible hazards, review of light and sound levels, and air sampling for industrial hygiene.
- In partnership with HR teams, assist or lead in accident investigation, including workers comp and WA State L&I claims processes.
- Coordinate annual hearing exams, respirator use and fit testing, CPR training, and other items as needed.
- Source and obtain, or assist in obtaining PPE. Monitor employee reimbursements for specific PPE.
- Additional responsibilities include evaluating new chemical processes for potential safety and environmental aspects and impacts.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet the needs of the company as necessary.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a technical discipline (Environmental Health, Engineering, Chemistry, or other directly related fields of study)
- 5 years’ experience managing EHS&S regulatory requirements
- Strong understanding of State and Federal EPA regulations, Industrial Safety programs, VPP, L&I and OSHA Compliance standards, etc.
- Proficient in basic computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, SharePoint, etc.)
- Ability to effectively and proactively interface closely with all site personnel and service contractors to ensure that work is being done in compliance with EHS&S program and to identify any potential system deficiencies.
- Ability to wear and maintain PPE standards
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Strong business and regulatory acumen
- Strategic thinker who can see long-term goals and balance against short and intermediate-term needs
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow with a high-degree of follow-through
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to provide training, coaching, and feedback effectively
- 10 years’ experience in managing EHS&S regulatory requirements
- Previous EHS&S experience in a Process Safety Management (PSM) covered and Risk Management Plan (RMP) chemical manufacturing facility
- Experienced and proficient with ISO14001 and ISO45001 standards
- Experienced and proficient in Project management
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
Salary Range: $100,000 - $150,000 DOE
This position is eligible for a 6% bonus based on individual and company performance.
- Medical, Dental, Vision - effective day one of employment.
- 401(k) with company match with immediate vesting - effective first of the month, following date of hire.
- First 3% is matched dollar-for-dollar.
- Second 3% is matched at 70 cents on the dollar.
- 3 Weeks' Vacation
- Sick Leave
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Basic Life, AD&D, STD, and LTD provided at no cost to employee.
- Ancillary benefits available such as voluntary life, accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity, identity theft, whole life with long-term care.