Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Freshly, a division of the Nestlé Group, is a fast-growing food company and the largest fresh-prepared-meal delivery service in the US. It’s their mission to make eating healthy and convenient for people by delivering fresh, nutritious, and fully cooked meals directly to customers.
Freshly’s business model is a weekly subscription service with a menu offering more than 50 different flavorful preparations and combinations that are chef-made with the highest quality, 100% all-natural ingredients that meet industry leading standards. Each deliciously healthy meal is packed with key nutrients and cooked fresh to order with no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, refined sugars, artificial preservatives or hydrogenated oils. In addition to providing free shipping, Freshly uses advanced eco-friendly packaging technology to ensure that meals maintain freshness in transit.
Since its founding in 2012, Freshly has grown to more than 1,300 employees, achieved a significant annual revenue stream, and has established itself as a key winner in the direct-to-consumer (DTC) food category. As the largest DTC prepared meal company in the United States, Freshly has shipped over 100 million meals since its founding in 2012. They are positioned to accelerate their growth and capture more market share while simultaneously widening margins through operational scale.
The company’s supply chain is vertically integrated with world class manufacturing facilities and ownership of the distribution channel from farm to fork. This allows Freshly to provide nutritious meals while reducing the food waste caused by the outdated grocery supply chain. All meals are cooked to order and are delivered fresh, never frozen.
Headquartered in New York City, Freshly recently became part of the Nestlé family in 2020 and is a core part of their strategic growth plans as they look to drive the evolution of and innovation in the food industry.
This is the key position of the Site Leadership Team in the Safety, Health & Environmental Sustainability area of expertise. The primary objective of the role is to protect and improve the safety of our employees and our Site environmental sustainability through prevention, encouraging a culture of caring where safety, health and environmental sustainability are ingrained as a core value, achieving world class performance in support of a highly, efficient, and low cost operations. The position ensures compliance of all SH&E aspects of the Site and sets local SH&E strategies for overall success in alignment with corporate policy and common practices.
Requirements and minimum education level:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific subject area or SH&E related field.
- Professional certifications in SH&E related fields are considered beneficial and may include CIH, NEBOSH, CSP, CEM, etc.
- Minimum 5 years experience in SH&E roles with the last position held as a Site
- SH&E leader and/or division, regional, or corporate safety and environmental experience. Experience in the World Class industry for SH&E and solid understanding of ISO 14001, 45001, LEAN and TPM concepts. Detailed knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT regulations.
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment with minimal direct
- supervision and have strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and self-
- initiative skills.
- Proven track record to drive sustainable organizational change.
- Exhibit the ability to build strong cross-functional teams capable of delivering
- desired results.
- Capability to communicate effectively and influence across a diverse range of
- people from Corporate /Division leadership to a factory floor associate.
- Capacity to think both strategically and tactically and quickly flow across the two.
- Good technical understanding of SH&E issues and their relationship to
- production/engineering and job functions as it relates to building in prevention.
- Strong demonstrated verbal / written communications, analytical and problem
- solving skills. Must be detailed and results oriented.
- Ability to communicate sophisticated regulatory and technical issues in lay
- Ability to achieve results through dotted line situations
- Proficiency with Windows based applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and
- Ability to master other specialized software.