Tesla is seeking an ambitious environmental professional to join the Environmental, Health and Safety Team (EHS). The Environmental Engineer will report directly to the Environmental Program Manager and will support environmental compliance programs at Giga Texas in Austin, Texas. He/she will support day-to-day operations and associated environmental aspects/impacts to ensure compliance, reduce risk, and seek and capitalize on opportunities to reduce environmental footprint of Giga Texas operations.
The Environmental Engineer will develop, implement, and continuously improve programs within the EHS Management System framework in partnership with the broader EHS and Infrastructure teams. They will ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health, and safety regulations, and conformance to internal and industry standards.
- Ensure Tesla operates in compliance with all federal, state, and local environmental regulations and regional and Global Tesla standards.
- Proactively identify, assess, and mitigate environmental risks.
- Support the application and data gathering process for environmental permitting including air, water, waste, etc.
- Support air permit and regulatory compliance including recordkeeping, air emissions source testing, and periodic air emissions and compliance reporting
- Coordinate and support the preparation of environmental reports, Toxic Release Inventory (TRI), Tier 2 Reports, hazardous waste biennial reporting, and wastewater Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs).
- Perform compliance inspections, and utilize tracking tools to issue recommendations and corrective actions to responsible stakeholders.
- Support audits and inquiries from regulatory agencies.
- Monitor and analyze the developing trends and changes in regulatory compliance laws, rules and regulations.
- Participate and provide constructive feedback in design reviews to achieve compliance.
- Support Management of Change (MOC) for projects that have environmental impacts.
- Develop, track, and report environmental metrics.
- Develop and manage Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions; and,
- Prepare content for environmental training for inclusion in Tesla Learning Management System (LMS) or live training sessions.
- Support the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), and Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or Environmental-related discipline.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience managing multi-media environmental compliance programs in Texas.
- Previous experience preparing air emission, Toxic Release Inventory (TRI), Tier II, hazardous waste, storm water, and wastewater discharge reports.
- Understanding of sustainability and environmental topics and fundamentals including sustainable design, planning, policy, waste, greenhouse gases/energy, responsible material sourcing, water, land use change, biodiversity, and EHS certification systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment, where demands and priorities change rapidly.
- Ability to communicate effectively with production employees, engineers, legal counsel, technical specialists, and management, cross functionally, in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Foundational knowledge of EHS laws (CAA, CWA, EPCRA, RCRA, DOT, IFC, OSHA, etc.), regulations, and standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Advanced knowledge in environmental data analytics and environmental pollution release calculations.
- Experience supporting regulatory/agency inspections.
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- Professional certifications such as CHMM or CPEA
- Texas Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.)
- Advanced knowledge in hazardous materials management and fire code is a plus
- Advanced to expert knowledge in environmental permitting
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).