Environmental Compliance Specialist
Leidos has an exciting opening for an Environmental Compliance Specialist to support various government and commercial environmental programs. The successful candidate for this position will serve as a full-time employee who will work as part of a team or solo to conduct multimedia environmental compliance assessments and provide environmental compliance assistance. The candidate must be able to identify, analyze, and document environmental compliance deficiencies as a result of applying knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations. These locations may include all 50 states and territories.
Extensive travel is required; up to 75% of the time. Audits are normally conducted on a weekly basis, with travel typically occurring Monday through Friday and the rare possibility of traveling occurring on Sunday and ending on Saturday. Travel may occur in back-to-back weeks.
- Conduct environmental compliance audits of government and commercial facilities to ensure compliance with local, state, and Federal environmental laws and regulations and agency environmental policies and procedures.
- Identify audit findings, both positive and negative, of environmental-related operations, and develop recommendations, and corrective actions to mitigate environmental hazards across various environmental media, including but not limited to, air emissions, potable water, water pollution control, hazardous materials management, solid and hazardous waste management, storage tank management, toxic substances control, etc.
- Develop audit reports to confirm findings of the audits and provide recommendations to address root causes of the deficiencies noted to provide long-term solutions and improve the state of environmental compliance.
- Assist clients with writing SPCC Plans, SWPPPs, EPCRA Tier II and TRI reports, and other compliance assistance as requested.
- Use teaching and directional tools to help educate and train personnel receiving the compliance audit.
- Clearly explain and brief findings to customers in a formal setting.
- Perform quality assurance reviews and editing of written findings.
- Act independently and as part of a multimedia audit team to ascertain compliance and recommend appropriate action to assure compliance and/or return to compliance.
- Conduct environmental compliance research in advance of the audit to prepare for the unique aspects of the facility to be reviewed.
- Conduct in-briefing with leadership and interview agency/facility staff, review documentation, and observe operations to confirm the status of compliance.
- Develop out-briefing documents and apprise leadership of the findings of the audit, providing recommendations to improve compliance status.
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental/science or a related field and at least 5 years’ experience in the environmental compliance field.
- Deep knowledge of federal environmental laws and regulations (RCRA, CAA, CWA, OPA, EPCRA, SDWA, etc.) and knowledge of state regulations.
- Willing to work on a variety of environmental compliance contracts.
- Must be able to follow specific, detailed procedures and be able to review work for technical accuracy and adequacy.
- Professional certifications to include Certified Professional Environmental Auditor, Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, ISO 14001:2015 Auditor training are preferred.
Must be able to pass a Public Trust background investigation.
Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.