Environmental and Social Impact Coordinator
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the outdoors. We fight for the future of our people, planet, and sport. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while delivering high-quality performance products.
As a global leader in snowboarding, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the long-term health of our company, sport, and community. Through these efforts, we aim to make snowboarding and the outdoors accessible to all.
The Burton People & Planet Impact team is responsible for shaping and leading the company sustainability strategy in collaboration with cross functional partners. As part of Burton’s Purpose Goals for 2025, we are focused on 10 specific objectives:
- Aiming to be climate positive by 2025 by reducing our emissions in line with a science-based target, removing the emissions we can’t yet eliminate on our own, and advocating for system-level change.
- Sourcing more recycled and certified sustainable materials
- Using safer chemistry and fewer resources in design and manufacturing
- Increasing supply chain traceability
- Responsibly designed & plastic-free packaging
- Increasing the volume of recycled materials across our product lines
- Designing and manufacturing with the full lifecycle of our products in mind
- Exploring circular economy business models that decouple business growth from resource consumption
- Improving the social responsibility performance and traceability across Burton’s supply chains
- Achieving a fair, equitable, and livable wage for all Burton employees and factory workers
The Product Impact coordinator will focus on compliance and certification management, including the chemicals testing program. This role will report to the Burton Environmental Impact Lead and will work closely and with many cross-functional teams, including product, supply chain, brand engagement office, and operations. The ideal candidate is highly organized and detail-oriented, with experience in compliance, and/or chemicals management. We’re looking for someone to coordinate our chemicals testing program for Burton Global and supply chain standards compliance enforcement with Burton China. This role will support product traceability, due-diligence, and compliance initiatives. Skills in data analytics is a plus.
What You'll Get to Do:
- Coordinate an efficient and effective responsible chemistry program to create value and reduce exposure risk to workers, customers, communities, the environment, and the company.
- Conduct seasonal, risk-based material testing against the restricted substances list and specifications.
- Collect and manage information to mitigate risks, ensure standards compliance, and substantiate claims regarding products and materials such as bluesign®, RDS, RWS, LWG, GRS, GOTS, and FSC.
- Formulate responses to new or revised legislation, regulation, and industry initiatives or certifications, including traceability for customs compliance.
- Provide resources and training on internal and external standards for Burton employees and suppliers, to uphold product and manufacturing compliance.
- Support the Product Environmental Impact Lead on brand assessments, benchmarking, and other data research projects.
- Support Burton owned and operated offices and manufacturing facilities regarding EOHS compliance.
- Conduct factory evaluations, data collection, desk verification, and corrective action plans.
- Lead data organization and modernization projects.
- Supply Chain Social Impact Lead on brand assessments, benchmarking, and other data research projects.
- Provide support to the Brand Engagement Office on developing and refining business processes between Burton Corporation and Burton China to uphold social and environmental supply chain standards and policies
- Conduct material traceability and chemicals management due diligence for licensed softgoods in China
- Review social compliance documentation for new supplier onboarding and ongoing social performance monitoring
- Train new staff on chemicals management, materials traceability, and due diligence
- Support annual evaluation of sustainability performance
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- 2+ years professional experience in project management, data management, or compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Sustainability, Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, or other relevant areas.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically; strong problem-solving skills and analytical approach
- Motivated to seek information needed to fill data gaps by forging relationships, doing research, and tapping into internal and external databases
- Experience with a variety of reporting and data visualization tools: PowerBI and PowerPivot preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively with team members and business partners