Environment and Natural Resources Intern
Chemonics seeks an Intern to support the Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) business unit. The Latin America and the Caribbean portfolio spans Colombia, Mexico, and Peru, and covers a range of technical sectors, including democracy and governance (D&G), environment and natural resources (ENR), and economic growth and trade (EGT). LAC’s forward market also includes work in Central America focused on D&G, ENR, and EGT. The LAC intern will have the unique opportunity to gain exposure to all facets of working in a business unit – the Environment and Natural Resources practice, business development, and Project Management Unit (PMU) work. This includes regular mentoring and supervision from Chemonics staff members and integration into one of LAC’s PMUs. The intern will participate in professional development activities and practice networks to g ain an understanding of the international developm ent field and Chemonics technical areas. We are looking for a self-starter with strong communication, interpersonal, and strategic thinking skills who works well on teams. Candidates who bring a strong work ethic and attention to detail, possess excellent judgement and discretion, and are passionate about making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Environment and Natural Resources Practice
- Conducts research on technical topics such as working with youth and Indigenous Peoples, circular economy, combatting conservation crimes, and community engagement and co-management.
- Drafts internal communications, for example technically themed newsletters.
- Assists with planning, implementation, and note-taking of meetings, brown bags, and technical exchanges for home office staff and invited guests.
- Manages practice electronic files, databases, resource libraries, and proposal development tools.
- Tracks and shares environment trends, events, and conferences with the practice network.
- Provides environmental technical support to assigned project, e.g., copy editing annual/quarterly reports, translation support, blog and/or success story writing, etc., as needed.
- Attends weekly PMU meetings and shadows (with an opportunity to assist with) recurring project management administrative tasks, including, documenting and circulating notes, recruitment support, timesheets, invoice reviews, and expense reports, etc.
- Participates on proposal and business development research teams relevant to technical interest to provide research, writing, or administrative support. Specific roles can include writing on Chemonics’ corporate capabilities, past performance, CV writing, and developing a short-term technical assignment (STTA) matrix.
- Attends proposal meetings of interest to learn about and contribute to the proposal development process.
- Assists with new business file management and administrative tasks for consultant management.
- Updates new business online databases and electronic files.
- Demonstrates maturity, dependability, integrity, and initiative to learn about the international development industry.
- Contributes positively to a work environment that emphasizes teamwork, respect for differences, and accepting and giving constructive feedback.
- Fosters and demonstrates a workplace inclusive of creating opportunity, serving others, building trust, innovation and exceeding expectations.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in all internship activities and events scheduled during normal business hours.
- The intern will perform other duties and responsibilities under the direction of a supervisor which might include administrative, management, and technical tasks as well as working on special task forces.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and r e sponsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications list ed below are represent ative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties.
- Currently pursuing an under graduate (rising junior or senior) or gradua te degree. Undergraduate applicants preferred.
- Excellent research, analytical, and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to work independently on projects and tasks.
- Demonstrated interest in international development.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Professional proficiency in English and Spanish language required.
- Experience and/or interest in environment and natural resource management preferred.
- Regular attendance and availability during normal business hours are required.
Apply by Monday, February 6th, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
Chemonics will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by Chemonics, or (c) consistent with Chemonics legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world. The health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we continue to hire for all open roles with interviewing and on-boarding done virtually. Our new hires and current staff working from our Washington, DC, Arlington, VA, and London offices will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Chemonics requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated.