BuzzFeed News is seeking a driven, competitive reporter to hold the entertainment industry to account. Whether it's treatment of actors and staff on set, rooting out additional #MeToo horror stories, or disparities in compensation — there are a lot of rocks to turn over in Hollywood and the ideal candidate should be relentless in their desire to shine a light on whatever they find.
Given that, they should also have experience navigating courts and law enforcement agencies for records and sourcing on a regular basis.
This candidate should be comfortable taking on daily assignments and pitching story ideas related to the current news cycle, as well as the foresight to create evergreen content that serves our readers, often years down the line, such as definitive rankings of popular or niche shows, episodes, movies, etc. In this vein, we're looking for a real pop culture junkie who's not afraid to poke the hive with some hot takes!
This role will ideally be based in the greater Los Angeles area and report to our LA-based Entertainment News Editor.
- Have 2-5 years of entertainment industry reporting experience
- Have the ability to shift between longer term reporting ventures and daily assignments to meet staggered deadlines
- Have no problem collaborating with other desks and editors
- Have the kind of impeccable organizational skills it takes to catalog and track larger reporting projects
- Be willing to represent BuzzFeed News on other media platforms
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth and joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen and interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company and be part of a union.
- Already developed sources and contacts in the industry and can hit the ground running
- Experience handling the PR flacks and attorneys that come with critical coverage
- A drive to beat the competition, whether it's a big investigative story or an interview with a popular character on a hit show
- Fluency in internet culture, what people are talking about, and how to avoid misinformation
Please apply with a résumé, your social media handles, and a cover letter that tells us more about you, your work, and why you'd be good for the job.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.