The Kinship Data Engineering & Analytics is a multifaceted team with global impact on the Kinship businesses. This team, a growing mixture of engineering, analytics, and data science talent, collaborate with a variety of departments to drive decisions and provide direction for future growth for Kinship. The mission of our team is to democratize data and provide a cost-efficient, observable and reliable data platform that empowers and enables decentralized teams to generate actionable insights and product features.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to manage and provide leadership around data engineering, data platform and data infrastructure . As a part of the Data Engineering team, you will be working across a wide range of initiatives in the data ingestion, data compute, data transport, data orchestration, data interoperability, and data privacy areas. As a people leader you will be responsible for career development and growth of your team, ensuring that they are motivated and inspired by Kinship’s data strategy.
Our current technical landscape is complex, and with your help we want to have a best in class data platform and engineering team. We are looking for candidates who are accustomed to managing billions of records, sourced from 20+ source systems based on multiple technologies. You have experience building/redesigning a data platform from the ground up, balancing up sustainability, extensibility, performance, cost, governance and fitness for purpose.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Be a technical leader to help adopt and evangelize data principles and event-driven architecture across decentralized product teams and promote the principle of data as a product
- Represent the data team where deep knowledge of our data and tech stack is needed - cross-functional work streams, technical advisory groups, etc.
- Partner with Kinship and Mars Petcare teams to understand their data needs, while thinking like the end user and translating these needs into technical requirements that will drive business value
- Hire top talent while being mindful of the important balance between culture fit, technical excellence and diversity.
- Inspire a healthy, collaborative, empathetic engineering culture in line with Kinship’s values, helping your team grow and develop their careers at Kinship
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes for assessment and improvements.
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
- 10+ years of experience in data engineering and data infrastructure
- Previous experience hiring, managing, and coaching data engineers of varying levels of experience, evaluating existing vs future skillset needs as a team evolves
- Demonstrated, hands-on expertise in leading development of full end to end data engineering projects
- Experience in a cloud environment like AWS and familiarity with tools like Kubernetes, Kafka, FiveTran, Airflow, Glue, Athena and Data Lake Formation.
- Skilled in Python, PySpark, SQL or similar and willing to get your hands dirty
- Enthusiastic about event-driven architecture, micro-services, data privacy, and data quality/reliability
- Able to work cross functionally and discuss technical concepts with both technical and nontechnical audiences of varying seniority
- Passion for working creatively with interesting, innovative data
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Opportunities to impact and grow the business on a day to day basis
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Hybrid work environment
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship