What’s the role?
Etsy is seeking an engineering manager to lead a team that supports buyers who are purchasing items for their home. We are looking for an engineering manager who can lead a fast paced, data-driven, and agile team. You will need to work with partners in product, design, user-research and analytics to build experiences that bring value for the buyers and sellers on our platform. You will have the opportunity to work at the scale of a major ecommerce website and solve problems using big-data and experimentation.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Visual Discovery Engineering Lead and the base salary range will be 182,000 - 236,000 per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team.
What’s this team like at Etsy
- We are a cross-functional product development team consisting of engineers, product managers, designers, product marketers, data analysts and user researchers. We collaborate closely and learn via data, user interviews, experimentation and iteration so that we can take a holistic approach to improving the buyer experience.
- The Home & Living App team works closely with the Home & Living Web team. We work to reduce friction for our buyers, making sure they have an easy and inspiring experience throughout their shopping journey.
What does the day-to-day look like
- On a day to day basis, you will be responsible for the maintenance of an agile process, mentoring your engineers and collaborating with product and design to define upcoming work.
- Manage a team of 5 to 8 mobile apps and API engineers to build outstanding products. At Etsy, engineering managers have a limited role in the hands-on process of building software, but a very large role in orchestrating and mentoring engineers to achieve results together.
- Take part in the end-to-end recruiting process, hiring and on-boarding exceptional engineering talent.
- Partner multi-functionally with product management, design, user-research, and analytics to ensure that your team is delivering value for our buyers.
- Serve as a coach, mentor, and advocate for the engineers on your team.
- Work with other leaders within engineering to develop and evolve engineering processes and standard methodologies.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Strive to understand your customers and keep them at the center of the solutions you build.
- Excel in a product engineering environment with an emphasis on experimentation and metrics.
- Know how to develop your reports skills and career through regular coaching, mentorship, and thoughtful assignment of work
- Know how to apply process judiciously to amplify your team’s work and deliver products more effectively
- Have the ability to make decisions in the face of ambiguous or changing priorities and goals
- Have a track record of using communications, facilitation, and active listening skills to foster a collaborative and inclusive culture on your team
- Engineering experience in building and publishing mobile apps is nice to have
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.