Development, implementation and maintenance of effective safety, health, and environmental management systems for the Manufacturing site.
Provision of technical advice and assistance to Site Director, Site Leadership Team, managers, and staff to enable EHS performance to be managed effectively, contributing towards achieving the Manufacturing site vision.
Encouragement, promotion and monitoring of highest levels of EHS performance in line with statutory and corporate requirements.
Duty holder with Ownership of the site statutory compliance activities.
As EHS site lead, monitor & report EHS performance, connect to shared lessons & good practices within the site and with all sites in the regional supply chains.
Ensure that EHS site objectives are in place aligned to corporate EHS plan & priorities.
Investigate EHS accidents and high potential incidents to identify and implement improved EHS practices. Be able to work in collaboration with teams, objectively analyzing information and circumstances relevantly, determining appropriate corrective and preventive actions to forestall a reoccurrence. Actively champion the consideration of human factors and human reliability in proactive risk assessments and system design.
In depth knowledge Risk Management methods. Investigate any adverse audit/and or inspection findings determining the appropriate corrective and preventive actions to close gaps and EHS risks. Can risk assess, appropriately identify, evaluate, and mitigate risks, coupled with effective monitoring that the risks are adequately reduced.
Drive to improve the safety culture of the site, ensuring safe behaviors are encouraged and rewarded. Actively engage with the site to ensure that behavioral safety is always considered and at the heart of how the site operates.
Have an in-depth knowledge of GSK Policies, Standards and Internal Control Framework and be capable of effectively subscribing these fundamentals into a site-specific management system designed to holistically manage EHS risks. Direct financial responsibility for the budget of the EHS department and indirect financial responsibility in the following:
- Developing and implementing cost effective solutions for EHS compliance improvement opportunities.
- Recommending the purchase of plant, equipment, and consumables. Providing EHS input into Capital projects and New Product introductions.
- Be knowledgeable in the preparation, implementation, and execution of Crisis Management processes, remaining calm and coaching others in such situations. Ensure effective business continuity and effective loss prevention plans are in place for the site.
- Ensure an integrated, comprehensive approach is taken with environmental management to reduce contributions to GSK’s overall environmental impact from the manufacturing site.
Capability and people development
- Coach site EHS teams & site leadership team on how to improve EHS performance. Be able to relate to and bring out the best in others, both locally within teams and across the wider organization to achieve GSK objectives and goals. Develop problem solving capability, using rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions
- Collaborate with Shared Services / Functions (i.e., Quality, Engineering, Continuous Improvement, HR, IT, Procurement, and 3rd Party businesses, et al) to ensure EHS is integrated into the site strategy, Risk Mapping process & site Business Continuity plans.
- Develop relationships and learn through collaboration among EHS professionals in other sites and area, helping to ensure good practice sharing & staff development in the control of risks.
- Ensure appropriate numbers of qualified and competent EHS staff are available the site to address EHS compliance, hazards, and risks. Support their continued development to make sure potential candidates are in place for role succession plans.
- Implement a culture of “total disclosure” regarding EHS regulatory compliance, audit results, and incidents to ensure that all of GSK benefits from the findings from these events.
- Build and maintain strong trusting relationships with customers and stakeholder. Demonstrating the ability to communicate and influence with persuasive reasoning, thought provoking understanding and compelling debate. Have the courage to make tough, ethical choices on behalf of the business in line with GSK values and behaviors.
These include understanding and development of the EHS team and site competency in:
- Process Safety
- Machinery safety
- Pressure systems
- Permit to work
- Contractors and construction safety
- Dangerous goods
- Material storage and handling
- Industrial hygiene and health
- Health and wellness
- Chemical and Biological Agents
- Environmental and Sustainability
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, and/or Business Administration
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in planning, manufacturing, packaging, GMP, people management, EHS and performance management
- Significant experience in EHS & Engineering within the Consumer / Pharmaceuticals / FMCG industries demonstrating fundamental technical and management skills.
- Experience in working with and leading cross-site and multi-functional teams
- Strong experience in a related job with knowledge in inbound and outbound processes
- People networking skills
- Requires proven knowledge & delivery in compliance. This will cover regulatory fields, Engineering, process, machinery & containment safety, hazardous area protection concepts & interaction with regulators/auditors.
- Project / program management & influencing across multiple sites are a must.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Master of Science in Engineering, Science, and/or Business Administration
- Ability to short, medium, and long-term plans
- Ability to introduce new ways of work and change management within the organization
- Certified EHS specialist professionalism in areas of environmental science/engineering, occupational hygiene, process safety or EHS management.