Reporting to the Chief Content Office, the Flow Editorial Director is responsible for creating, managing and optimizing the content strategy for SHE Media’s emerging women’s health brand Flow. The role drives Flow content creation by ideating, assigning, editing, occasionally writing and distributing this content. The Editorial Director will collaborate closely with the branded content, marketing, social media and design teams. She/he will receive brand and marketing direction from the CEO and/or CMO. The business goals for Flow will be reviewed quarterly by the Chief Content Officer and the CEO with a guiding objective to build a scalable brand and business.
The role will also work closely with our Flow Advisory Board and the Health Cohort within the Collective to source and create both personal stories and science-driven health content. This includes interviewing experts and community members for first-person essays and quotes in our own original content, as well as assigning and editing submissions from our expert partners for contributed pieces. The Flow Editor Director will also track and research women’s health research and news to extract the health issues and services impacting women today.
The ideal candidate will be driven, self-motivated, collaborative, and passionate about creating best-in-class women’s health content and developing a deeply loyal community. This person should have a firm understanding of digital media publishing, content marketing and credible health reporting. She/he must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills, an obsession with performance metrics, and the ability to build and maintain relationships with external contributors.
- Ideate, research and produce engaging high-quality health content for Flow across key categories of reproductive health, mental health, physical health and interpersonal health
- Recruit, assign and edit freelance writers for original content on the Flow site
- Plan and manage editorial and social calendars, ensuring key tentpoles and subjects are being covered on a regular cadence
- Oversee social media strategy with a focus on Instagram, LinkedIn and Meta
- Develop and execute newsletter strategy for the Flow brand
- Strategize and produce digital issues and destinations for the Flow brand, including those that are sponsored
- Maintain brand and editorial guidelines, ensuring consistent messaging across distribution channels
- Optimize content for SEO, social, syndication and other referral sources, and leverage traffic analytics to increase engagement and grow audience
- Build relationships and engage with external health experts
- Hire and manage a team of junior staffers as the Flow brand grows
- Stay current on latest trends and developments in health to inform content strategies and communications, and represent the Flow brand at industry events as needed
The Fine Print:
- 10-15+ years of professional writing/editing experience, specifically with online health and wellness brands
- 5+ years of editorial and marketing management
- Strong editorial judgment and ability to distill complex scientific information into easily digestible and engaging content for readers
- A demonstrated understanding of digital strategy, analytics and SEO; commerce content experience is a plus
- A network of exceptional writers and strong roster of industry contacts
- Ability to participate in and lead conversations with senior level executives across all media departments and with Penske Media Corp
- Proven experience in relationship development with key talent, celebrities and influencers
Typical wage range: $120k - $150k
Factors that could be used to determine your actual salary may include your specific skills, years of experience and comparison to current employees already in this role. The typical candidate is hired below midpoint of the range. The total compensation package for this position will also include other elements, a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits including 401(k) eligibility and paid time off benefits. PMC is committed to the health and wellness of our employees. As part of our company-wide rollout of PMC’s paid healthcare plan, for this role the company pays 100% of the monthly health, dental and vision plan premiums for the employee and their family. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If you have more or less experience than specified on this job posting, please apply and list your salary expectations.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors).
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
As a top 10 lifestyle media company reaching 74+ million monthly visitors, SHE Media focuses on the power of content and community to move our culture forward. SHE Media believes that media companies can and should be a force for good in the world. The company’s rich editorial ranges from health, food, and family to career and entertainment.
SHE Media’s flagship brands, SheKnows, Flow, StyleCaster, Soaps and BlogHer, produce award-winning lifestyle content and events that reflect the passion and purpose of the company. In addition to the flagship brands, the SHE Media Collective supports thousands of independent publishers and content creators with technology, education, and monetization opportunities to grow their businesses.
SHE Media has a longstanding commitment to the advancement of equity and inclusion through media. In 2021, SHE Media launched Meaningful Marketplaces enabling advertisers to buy media at scale from a community of women and minority-owned publishers, ensuring that independent media receives the economic support to thrive. SHE Media is also dedicated to advancing women’s health. In 2023, SHE Media launched Flow, an all-new digital and live media platform providing content, community, and commerce in service of women’s whole life health.