A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
NPR Visuals is focused on creating and distributing content that reflects and serves America. We work with teams across NPR, our member stations, and content partners to tell stories and engage audiences on NPR.org, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and other visual platforms.
As a member of the Visuals team, the Editor III - Photo for will be primarily focused on producing, editing and delivering photo content for visual platforms for Israel-Hamas conflict. The content will need to be visually arresting and informative; giving you something that you didn’t know in a way that reflects the best characteristics of NPR. Ideal candidates will bring experience with all stages of photo creation, production and editing. Together with a team of editors and content creators, this team members will help create distinctive NPR journalism that appeals to new audiences on visual platforms.
This is a union represented role covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with SAG-AFTRA.
- Edit, produce and/or shoot photography for multiple visual platforms.
- Manage projects and features for visuals including one or more of the following: photography, video, illustration and animation
- Commission original photography and illustrations for NPR with a diverse range of topics, photographers and illustrators.
- Takes responsibility for more advanced photography tasks, where applicable, including many layers of coordination, logistics & travel, creativity, and sensitivity in the storytelling.
- Consults on visual projects managed by other NPR teams, partners and/or third parties.
- Develops, researches and produces series and complex projects with staff and freelancers, where applicable
- Produces self-directed, long-term, advanced photo assignments, where applicable
- Innovate, execute, assess and iterate photo stories and projects for all platforms.
- Edit, research, license images for all NPR platforms including NPR.org, Instagram, Youtube, TikTok, and emerging platforms.
- Coordinate with member station journalists as needed in order to acquire, publish and distribute visual assets for NPR and other public media platforms.
- Research, pitch, write and produce stories for NPR’s visuals blog, The Picture Show.
- Work with photographers, illustrators, agencies and vendors to process contracts and invoices from assignments.
- Organize and contribute to freelance photographer and illustrator database.
- Handle photo imaging, captions and credits for stories you edit.
- Mentors junior staff members.
- Attend meetings as needed with the Visuals team, desks, podcasts and shows.
- Uphold the highest standards for NPR’s visual journalism and storytelling including following NPR’s ethical standards and practices
- Stay up to date with NPR broadcasts, podcasts, reporters, news wires, competition and internal communications to make sure our visual storytelling is optimized and smart.
- Additional duties as assigned by your manager.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be assigned, and this job description can be modified at any time.
- Experience editing photo for digital platforms.
- Must be able to edit photos for breaking news with speed and distinction.
- Experience assigning and editing staff and freelance photographers on assignment in the field.
- Experience with tools such as, Photoshop, Photomechanic, FTP, content management systems and social media platforms.
- Ability and willingness to work off-hour shifts, including early mornings, nights and/or weekends.
- Demonstrated excellence as a visual storyteller.
- Excellent organizational, communication and collaboration skills.
- Familiarity with photo rights.
- Photoshop skills.
- Experience in daily coverage of national news or general news.
- Experience making smart, fast, solid editorial decisions under pressure and tight deadlines.
- A steely, unshakable sense of journalistic ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate in visual presentations.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute creative ideas, and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
- Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
Bachelor’s degree in photography, journalism, or other similar related field (or the equivalent combination of education and experience).
Remote Permitted: This is a remote permitted role. This role is based out of our Washington, DC office but the employee may choose to work on a remote basis from a location that NPR approves.
This is a temporary (4-month) full time position.
Hourly Rate: The U.S. based anticipated hourly rate for this opportunity is $52.89 per hour. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum hourly rate NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
Benefits: NPR offers access to comprehensive benefits for employees and dependents. Regular, full-time employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more per week are eligible to enroll in NPR’s benefits options. Benefits include access to health and wellness, paid time off, and financial well-being. Plan options include medical, dental, vision, life/ accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, short-term disability, and voluntary retirement savings to all eligible NPR employees.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salaries NPR expects to provide for new hires for the position across all US locations.
NPR Pay Range
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.