VIZ Media is looking to add two Editors to our publishing department - come join a team of dedicated storytellers and artists and help bring your favorite manga to the English-speaking market! As an Editor at VIZ Media, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of print and digital publications, collaborate with talented creative colleagues, and even propose series for acquisition.
What you’ll do:
- Manage all editorial duties involved in the graphic novel, simultaneous serializations, and trade book production process for both print and digital formats, including: editing manuscripts, proofreading page and cover proofs, checking bluelines, and reviewing digital editions to ensure quality and consistency
- Oversee freelance translators, rewriters, and letterers for the production of graphic novels, simultaneous serializations, and trade books
- Work with our Publishing Licensing department to address licensor requirements and concerns and to secure approval for publication projects
- Collaborate with in-house Designers and freelance designers on the timely and high-quality creation of cover and miscellaneous text layout for graphic novels and trade books
- Write cover text, catalog copy, and other related marketing and sales materials
- Check promotional copy in items such as sell sheets, samplers, and other marketing materials to make sure they are consistent with the facts and spirit of the title
- Work with Production staff to determine production specifications and with senior Publishing staff to conduct cost analysis and stay within the title budget
- Research and propose potential publishing acquisitions
- Represent and advocate titles placed under your responsibility
- Provide supporting editorial and informational services for other departments, including Digital Publishing, Sales, Marketing, and Animation
The ideal candidate has:
- 2-4 years of experience in delivering high quality editorial services related to book publication, simultaneous serialization, graphic novels, video games and/or trade books
- Knowledge about book publishing, comics, manga, or anime
- Experience writing and editing high-quality copy and maintaining continuity in projects
- The ability to balance creative judgements with business requirements
- Strong skill with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent project and deadline management skills
- A Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related field or equivalent experience
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Prior experience in the publishing industry
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign and Photoshop)
- Working knowledge of the Japanese language (a plus, not a must)
Work Location, Schedule, and Compensation
- Location: The Editor must be local to the San Francisco Bay Area. VIZ Media operates on a hybrid schedule, and the Editor should expect to work onsite at our Downtown San Francisco office 1-2 times per week. There may be some required travel for this position to attend conventions or trade shows.
- Schedule: This is a Regular Full-Time position with flexibility in working hours outside of our core hours of 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. The Editor may need to work late or on weekends or be on call for occasional urgent issues.
- Compensation: $70,000 - $75,000 annually, depending on experience, with additional variable compensation
VIZ Media offers the following benefits to its eligible employees:
- Partially subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401(k) savings plan – including employer matching
- Flexible Spending – health and dependent care
- Commuter stipend for in-office work
- Life Insurance/AD&D/STD/LTD
- Legal & ID Theft insurance
- Group Pet insurance rates
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time - plus your birthday is a holiday!
- Philanthropy program, including paid time off for volunteer work
- Wellness program, including fitness membership discounts and reimbursement
- Full time casual dress
- Flexible work hours
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Applicants should be willing to work with this type of content.
VIZ Media is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.
Please beware of recent scams to online job seekers. Any email from the VIZ Media recruiting team will come from an @viz.com email address (for example, email@example.com) or from our recruiting system Greenhouse (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org). If the email is not from one of these addresses, it is not from VIZ Media.