The Transportation Supervisor oversees the scheduling and performance of their assigned driver team to ensure HERBL service and safety standards are maintained in a manner that promotes teamwork, customer service, safety, and productivity. The Supervisor is responsible for the support and facilitation of driver safety and efficiency. This role serves as an advocate on the driver’s behalf with cross functional partners and upholds standards and processes designed to ensure vehicle and driver fitness.
The Supervisor is responsible for the caliber of the local driver team by overseeing training, conducting audits, and providing feedback and coaching. They support timely information handoffs between fleet and routing to ensure capacity will meet customer delivery demand. The Transportation Supervisor partners closely with Fleet Manager and Routing to schedule drivers for product pickups, customer deliveries and vehicle moves for service.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Schedule Drivers to ensure a balanced workload; manage driver time and attendance including approving time off requests, approving timecards, and monitoring attendance and time records.
- Make recommendations for staffing based on capacity and driver hours needs.
- Dispatch drivers, adjust routes or vehicles, make recommendations to drivers as needed.
- Oversee training and development of Drivers; sign off driver fitness for various duties; conduct performance management and career and capability development; provide accurate and timely documentation of performance coaching.
- Ensure HERBL provides a safe and inclusive workplace for drivers.
- Conduct regular driver meetings to disseminate information on behalf of leadership team and loss prevention. Coordinate with other Transportation supervisors to ensure transparency and consistency. Represent HERBL leaders in roll out of new activities, tools, policies, and procedures.
- Review tracking information to ensure standards and processes maintained including but not limited to pre and post trip inspection.
- Maintain awareness of and advocate for essential and non-critical vehicle repairs.
- Facilitate cross functional planning and continuous improvement on behalf of delivery needs.
- Conduct and facilitate regular driver audits to maintain excellent driving and service skills.
- Partner with Sales and Customers to resolve conflicts.
- Maintain 420 tracker with Driver availability.
- Provide inputs to vehicle specifications to promote safety, comfort, and efficiency.
- Schedule drivers to support fleet maintenance, repair and repositioning needs.
- Drive Great Place to Work agenda by obtaining driver feedback and acting as advocate for driver priorities and concerns; provide feedback on behalf of drivers for continuous improvement of HERBL policies and procedures.
- Foster workplace attitude of pride and responsibility by holding teams accountable to high performance neatness and reporting standards.
- Technical capacity (HERBL systems, impeccable driving record)
- Customer Focus
- Communication Proficiency
- Managerial Courage
- Stress Management/ Conflict de-escalation
- Organizational Skills
- Analysis and problem solving
Required Education & Experience
- Ability to operate a vehicle (transit van or box truck).
- Must be at least 25 years of age and have a valid CA Driver’s license with a clean driving record
- with no moving violations.
- 1+ years of HERBL Driver or comparable industry experience
- Previous Supervisory experience preferred
- Previous experience in the Cannabis industry preferred
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, see and hear. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision and ability to focus on near and far objects. This position requires sitting in a van or at a computer for very long periods and also requires bending, crouching, and entering and exiting a vehicle. This position requires frequent lifting and moving of packages weighing up to 50 lbs. This job operates in a warehouse office environment or in a van on CA roads and highways and may frequently be exposed to outside weather conditions. This position is full-time and typical work hours occur Monday through Friday and may occur during any time of day and also occasionally outside of typical work hours including some evening and weekend work.
Benefits & Compensation
- $28/hr base
- Health Insurance: healthy premiums covered by HERBL for employee and dependents.
- FSA & HSA with high deductible plan
- Vision & Dental
- Long Term Disability
- EAP: free to employees and their household
- Basic Life: $25,000 for all employees
- AD+D: 100% covered by HERBL
- Critical Illness: 100% covered by HERBL
- 401K: eligible after 90 days.
PTO: Vacation Time + Sick Time + Paid Holidays
- Vacation: Year 1: 8 days, Years 2-3: 11 days, Years 4+: 15 days
- Sick Pay: 5 days
- Holidays: 10 paid days include:
- (5) New Years Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.
- (1) Your birthday!
- (4) Floating holidays
- In 2021 Floating Holidays were expanded to recognize multiple groups within HERBL. Through these floating holidays, we will: Celebrate the proud history of Hispanic culture in California. Promote the history of Black & LGBTQIA+ people through Juneteenth and Pride Month. Recognize the patriotism of Independence Day. Honor the sacrifices of those that served in the Armed Forces for Veteran's Day.
HERBL is laser-focused on the distribution of naturally derived products, giving all of our attention to supporting brands and retailers in what’s best for their businesses. We believe having company-owned brands inherently creates a conflict of interest, so we have chosen to be a pure play distribution company. By not having company-owned competing brands, you can take comfort in knowing that every action we take is in a brand or retailers best interest.
We care deeply about relationships, integrity, collaboration, and are always committed to doing what is right. We honor this belief when working with our suppliers, our customers, and our team members. The HERBL team is a blend of individuals who have significant experience from many different backgrounds including, but not limited to Supply Chain, Sales, and Operations in high-volume distribution.