Divisional VP, Co-op Communications
The Co-op’s long term vision is to build a 50M member community, engaged and amplifying collective impact. Marketing’s role is to increase the size and impact of the Co-op by 1) amplifying REI’s core brand mission and 2) building life-long relationships with employees, customers, members, communities and partners to enable the brand purpose and live brand values every day.
The Co-op is looking for an experienced communications leader who is excited to work for an organization with a quadruple bottom-line and who will lead and build a world class communications and employee engagement organization to promote, enhance, and protect the REI brand reputation across all stakeholders. This leader will have the opportunity to 1) lead and shape communications for one of the most authentic brands in the United States, 2) play a critical role in reimagining employee engagement and communications at the Coop, and 3) evolve and hone the vision, strategy, and operating model for the Communications and Community Center of Excellence.
The Divisional Vice President of Co-op Communications and Community contributes to REI’s success by developing and implementing comprehensive communication and strategies for the Co-op, leading the strategic development and execution of top-level, integrated, communications and engagement activities for all stakeholders, both internal and external, including employee, media and outdoor industry, and society. Leads and provides oversight to internal communications, external communications, and employee engagement and recognition. Collaborates with marketing, brand strategy, corporate strategy, government affairs, digital, retail, merchandising, Co-op brands, sustainability and impact efforts, co-op media team, human resources and senior leadership to drive consistency and execution across all touchpoints. Represents the communications, and employee events and recognition division and its business requirements for cross-divisional strategic planning and prioritization. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
- As a member of the Leadership Forum, develops a deep understanding of, effectively communicates and broadly supports execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Translates company strategies into actionable divisional plans and executes successful delivery.
- Works cross-divisionally to drive execution of specific divisional and company strategies, initiatives and projects.
- Strengthens retail staff’s access and connection to leadership through annual store visits and district conference calls; drives engagement and builds trust in REI’s leaders.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
- Accountable for leading and developing a world-class team to create integrated, cross-divisional communications and engagement strategies that draw together multiple divisions, spanning the creative to operational spectrum.
- Develops next generation comms and employee engagement leaders for REI.
- Develops long-range communications strategies and goals that support the REI corporate vision and strategy.
- Ensures brand consistency and execution across all channels and customer touchpoints.
- Drafts CEO media responses and prepares CEO speaking points for media engagements.
- Develops executive communications strategy and plan for senior leadership team.
- Advise executives, communications leaders, and divisions on communications issues.
- Integrates change management principles and methodologies into strategies and plans, providing subject matter expertise on the people side of change and building communication strategies that maximize employee adoption and minimize resistance.
- Identify emerging topics, leading rapid and effective response. Positions the co-op effectively in response to issues, opportunities and threats and is proactive in efforts to guide business actions that reflect REI’s values and key stakeholder expectations.
- Leads the co-op’s crisis communication process.
- Collaborate with marketing, brand and co-op media teams to align communications strategies; support regional needs and align to key brand messages.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with national and regional media.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside public relations partners and agencies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with communications leaders across the outdoor industry.
- Responsible for the evaluation and continuous improvement of the strategies and tactics used to meet organizational goals and objectives that deliver a strong impact.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 15+ years of progressively responsible leadership of communications teams including at least 7 years in a leadership role managing multiple teams.
- Ideally has had responsibility working in a role directly representing and/or impacting employee communications and engagement.
- Must possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written including the ability to translate strategy into action to key stakeholders.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines, unpredictability and on multiple priorities.
- Exceptional media relations skills with proven experience of positive results from working with national-level press.
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
- Strong influencing skills to promote dialogue and achieve buy-in across various constituencies.
- Demonstrated track record of employing exceptional judgment in decision-making and all working relationships. Demonstrates strong emotional intelligence in interactions, negotiations and communications.
- Communications experience in a multi-channel retail company with revenue of $2B+.
- Proven experience in counselling and influencing senior executives.
- Expertise in both traditional and emerging media and communications; technology savvy and demonstrated practical experience working with new media and internet communications.
- Experience selecting, giving direction to and managing an advertising agency relationship.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate a compelling vision and strategy.
- Demonstrated success planning, leading and consulting on change initiatives.
- Experience in employee engagement, advocacy, philanthropy, and developing brand actions are a plus.
As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of minimum compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors. The salary range for this position may be lower or higher in different markets.
The pay for this role is:
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer