Director, Technology Strategy & Execution
VerizonDenver, CO19 days ago
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As the Director of Technology for New Business Incubation (NBI), you will lead all strategy and execution of technology at Verizon NBI. You will have five primary areas of responsibility: Team & Executive Leadership, Technology Strategy, Architectural Design, Security, and Future Proofing our technology stack for existing and new products. You’ll be a member of the Executive Team and will play a key role in scaling technology teams and preparing the company for the next stage of growth. You will report directly to the VP of NBI.
The Director will be the driving force behind the technology capability of NBI, which will, in turn, dramatically expand Verizon’s 5G network technology to power the orchestration of autonomous mobile ecosystems.
- Lead and scale NBI’s Engineering team for the next phase of growth, including the post-merger integration of ongoing technology investments.
- Align the diverse technology divisions within NBI to execute a unified technology strategy designed to enable the NBI business strategy.
- Coach and mentor various team members outside of direct reports throughout technology organization.
- Build trusting relationships with the Head of Product, the rest of the senior leadership team, and key stakeholders.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, and inclusivity that helps maximize productivity and professional growth for engineers. Facilitate communication across the department by leading all-hands and sub-department leadership meetings.
- Represent NBI at technology conferences and within Verizon as a thought-leader and at executive level customer engagements.
- Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the technology roadmaps, as part of a unified technology strategy, for NBI’s existing product groups: Autonomous Mobile Robots, Digital Space Management, Location Services, Drone Flight and Fleet Management, 5G R&D, and Adaptive Manufacturing.
- Evolve technical architecture to enable high-speed, low-cost expansion of NBI’s technology capability to properly balance the enablement of the long-term business strategy with near-term objectives.
- Define internal company technical, security, and privacy standards and work closely with Verizon stakeholders for systems, equipment, and software. Ensure NBI is the best in class when it comes to security standards and data privacy requirements.
- Develop strategic plans and set timelines for evaluation, development, and deployment of all technology decisions and strategy.
- Ensure the proper performance and financial efficiency of our infrastructure, tools, and platforms.
- Lead technical due diligence activities in support of M&A initiatives, maximizing the strategic benefits and minimizing risks of acquisitions as they contribute to the NBI Technology Strategy.
Process & Methodology
- Review and optimize software development processes to ensure consistent and predictable delivery on a prioritization-based software development cycle.
- Track and report on process-related metrics.
- Lead capacity planning activities.
- Advance methodology innovation to ensure NBI has space to utilize new approaches for delivering software while still meeting key objectives and timelines.
- Prepare, present, and manage annual budgets for departmental hires, server and hosting costs, etc. to the management team for review and approval.
- Drive alignment with the executive team on product releases, technology planning, and priorities.
- Ensure a close partnership with the product team to collectively bring high-quality software to customers in accordance with requirements, quality standards, and timelines.
- Work closely with our sales team to help expand and promote our products to existing and new customers and markets.
What we’re looking for...
- 15+ years of experience as a technology leader
- 10+ years of experience managing cross-functional technology resources in a geo-distributed environment, including international
- 10+ years of experience in one or more of the following technology domains: robotics, geo-spatial, IoT (IIoT a plus), factory automation
- Significant experience in embedded systems and hardware, systems integration and cloud computing
- Experience at a highly dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to lead and inspire a multi-functional engineering team
- Scaled technology teams to 100+ members
- Managed performance review cycles and delivery reviews; managed and mentored both senior team members and non-direct reports
- Experience managing geo-distributed technical teams with full-time remote engineers
- Played an impactful role on company leadership teams
- Past experience driving collaboration between Engineering and Product Leadership (VP/Director) to build a strong technical team culture (people management/mentorship, understanding engineering processes, hiring, etc.)
Technology Strategy, Process, and Methodology
- Strong proficiency in architecture design; past experience with architecting complex platforms and developing enterprise-level technology roadmaps
- Proven success with defining security standards for systems and software and meeting data privacy requirements from a technical standpoint
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Designed, implemented, and optimized processes for development, QA, security, and IT
- Experience public speaking
- Deep understanding of AI, ML, DL, and big data
- Self-motivated and personable
- Experience promoting technology innovation with leaders at large tech companies
- Past experience as a CTO at a successful start-up or fast-paced, innovative SMB
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, Stock Together, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is between $165,800 and $307,800 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best.Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.