Director, Software Engineering
WHO IS KINSHIP?
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. We’re building the future of pet care, combining insights, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be - and to ultimately create a better world for pets. Kinship is a business division of Mars Petcare, the global leader in pet health, nutrition, and services, and dedicated to one purpose: A Better World for Pets.
OUR FAMILY OF BRANDS
- Adopt-a-Pet the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Wisdom Panel our world-leading genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- Whistle the award-winning GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- Vet Insight our expert-driven, on-demand pet health platform
- The Wildest the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend a marketplace for all your pet’s people, connecting pet owners with their people, from groomers, trainers, to veterinarians and experts
- PetExec is here to help organizations of all sizes in managing their daycare, boarding, grooming, and training operations
OUR BRAND AT MARS PETCARE SCIENCE AND DIAGNOSTICS
Wisdom is on a mission to help pets live their longest and happiest lives. We are home to the world’s largest and most comprehensive dog DNA database, and a committed pet parent community passionate about helping us make our next discovery towards building a better world for pets. The Wisdom research team leverages these unparalleled resources to power discoveries that could drive real change in the growing field of pet care technology.
We are entering our next chapter of growth and innovation. Having recently launched a best-in-class ancestry prediction and relationships platform, we are now building enhancements to increase accuracy, drive product features and enable health prediction discovery. We are also connecting the dots between the new division focused on Science and Diagnostics at Mars Petcare, and will participate in product feature development across business verticals to which few biotechs have access.
WHO WE ARE
Our mission at Mars Petcare is to make the world a better place for pets. In Science and Diagnostics we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people’s confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
The Wisdom Engineering team is a critical part of the Mars Petcare Science and Diagnostics organization and partners closely with our business, product, design, engineering and customer service teams to architect, build, manage, scale and grow various capabilities that power our Wisdom Panel customer experience. This role also works closely with our International and Partnerships team to provide technical thought leadership as well as pipelining delivery and execution of partner specific capabilities while keeping an eye, negotiating meaningful tradeoffs with internal stakeholders as well as incrementally building towards mid and long term roadmap items.
The Wisdom team is focused on building engaging product features with full stack engineering. This role will also manage core backend, business partner side of our Wisdom Panel including all the touch points with various parts of integrations with our DNA processing lab partners and the technologies that power this experience.
As the head of the Wisdom Engineering team, you will manage a 10+ member team of full-time associates with varying levels of seniority including Lead Engineers, individual contributors as well as contractors. This role works very closely with design, product and marketing teams and will be responsible for owning delivery of engineering while keeping org and operational efficiency in focus.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Lead an existing team of 10+ associates including Lead Engineers and contractors
- Hire new talent, mentor and grow the existing team. Be an inspiring coach
- Partner with product, design, scientists and marketing teams to build highly scalable and efficient technology across various frontend, backend and B2B facing capabilities
- Partner with our business to understand their near term as well as long term needs while providing clear, transparent and timely updates
- Maintain high accountability and a keen eye towards reusability, efficiency and scale
- Be adept at introducing right level of process at the right point in organizational maturity
- Drive consistent results through empowerment of our associates while partnering with our talent partners to reward our high performers and constantly raising the bar for quality, efficiency and throughput of our engineering teams
- 15+ years of experience in software development with at least 10+ years of experience managing teams with directors and managers and large, impactful engineering and technical outcomes
- Proven experience building teams with exceptional talent
- Proven experience in building scalable platforms
- Solid experience building massive backend, business and partner facing engineering capabilities
- Excellent grasp of modern cloud friendly technologies build over multiple years of rigorous and progressive hands-on experience
- Solid experience using open source technologies to build engineering products at scale
- Experience in building API Management Platform
- Prior experience on building high scale services
- Prior hands on experience with AWS, GCP, Azure or comparable public cloud
- Deep understanding of architectural tradeoffs optimized for scale and throughput
- Experience with human health or related disruptive domain or pet tech is a big plus
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
The Portland, Oregon base salary range for this position is $170,000 - $200,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Total compensation will include bonus incentives and benefits. Kinship provides Full Time Employees (Associates) benefits which may include health insurance, retirement plan benefits, eligibility for Mars discounts, unlimited paid time off and access to other benefit programs. Eligibility for Kinship benefits is determined under the terms of the applicable Kinship Benefits plan at a person’s date of hire.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Opportunities to impact and grow the business on a day to day basis
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for Full-Time Employees and their families
- Unlimited paid time off for Full-Time Employees
- Hybrid work environment
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby) for Full-Time Employees
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship
Kinship is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Note to Search Firms/Agencies:
Kinship does not compensate search firms for unsolicited assistance unless they have a written search agreement with Kinship and the requisition is position-specific. Any resumes, curriculum vitae, and other unsolicited assistance from search firms that do not have a written search agreement or position-specific requisition submitted to any Associate of Kinship will be deemed the sole property of Kinship and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Kinship.