Director, Public Affairs
AbbottAustin, TXa month ago
We are currently seeking a DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS to support our NEUROMODULATION business, based in Austin,TX. This position will support Abbott’s Chronic Pain and Movement Disorders therapies, sit on the division president’s senior staff and report to the Divisional Vice President of Business Public Affairs.
At Abbott, we are focused on developing technologies to help people affected by chronic pain and movement disorders. Our featured neuromodulation products include innovations that increase therapy options, harness the latest technology and fit patients’ lifestyles. Abbott’s solutions include spinal cord stimulation and dorsal root ganglion therapy for targeted pain relief and deep brain stimulation for movement disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
The Director of Public Affairs has global responsibility for identifying opportunities, developing strategy and managing the execution of public relations programs and strategies to build Abbott's brand and protect and enhance Abbott's reputation among employees, health care professionals, investors and consumers. The Director must be able to think strategically and provide thoughtful counsel to a broad range of internal and external stakeholders across all levels of management. The Director supervises public relations firms and management of internal client relationships to help execute communications programming.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE
The Director of Public Affairs works with a broad range of internal and external constituencies across all levels of management and functions at both the corporate and division level, including Marketing, Sales, Clinical Development, Regulatory Affairs, Operations, Quality, HR, Government Affairs, Investor Relations, Legal and Finance. The Director of Public Affairs ensures optimal use of budget for PR programming within their scope of work at the division and corporate level.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Providing strategic counsel to marketing groups, internal/external clients, and country-level leadership on business-related efforts and initiatives.
- Developing external public relations strategies and approaches for key global product launches/filings, clinical data presented at major medical meetings, product awareness programs/outreach, and disease-state awareness efforts.
- Working extensively with U.S. and international businesses. Develop plans and support communication needs and product promotion activities of country managers and affiliates around the world. Oversee PR agency management and conduct/oversee PR agency selection process as needed.
- Fostering and leveraging relationships with national consumer, finance and trade media to enhance and protect the company's reputation and advance business objectives. Proactively pitch stories to generate impactful media coverage and increase Abbott's share of voice.
- Generating local and regional media coverage by working with sales and field clinical teams and KOLs to identify patient stories that showcase our therapies.
- Partnering with Abbott's Content teams to infuse corporate owned and social channels with content from the business unit. Developing multimedia and digital strategies to complement key Public Affairs campaigns.
- Developing executive and employee communications strategies and materials.
- Identifying and anticipating issues and working with appropriate functions to counsel management on reputation/business impact and influence business decision making process.
- Setting metrics to measure effectiveness of internal and external communication efforts.
- Overseeing development of messages, press materials and other communications tools. Developing strategic communications and competitive positioning for brand and/or company, with particular emphasis on competitive environment and marketplace.
- Coaching senior divisional executives, businesses, regions and third-party spokespeople on delivery of key messages.
- A bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, business, marketing or related field is required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE / TRAINING REQUIRED
- More than 12 years of experience in public relations, with at least 6 years in a high-level communications environment within a corporate environment or public relations agency preferred.
- Experience in health care and/or a regulated and global environment is preferred, but not required.
- Able to achieve results within a rapidly-changing, fluid and highly matrixed environment.
- Candidates must have a track record of excellent professional writing, communication and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Experience working with and counseling senior management required.
- Experience in developing and implementing media relations plans and proven ability in placing media stories and managing relationships with national/international contacts.
- Experience leading digital and social media projects required.