Director, Product Design
Strava is the leading social platform for athletes and the largest sports community in the world, with over 95 million athletes in 195 countries. If you sweat you’re an athlete, and Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day!
Strava’s Product Team advocates for our athletes and our business. Setting and executing on the vision for our product to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. We use design, research, data, strategy and empathy to guide cross-functional teams toward our common goal of becoming the preeminent platform for athletes. It is important to us to include diverse perspectives, and empower our teams to do great work.
Our Growth Product Org is growing, and we are looking for a highly motivated Director of Product Design to lead design efforts and strategy across five teams. The Growth Org contains lifecycle teams like New User Activation and Subscriber Acquisition, as well as platform capabilities like the Feed Team, the Pricing Team, and the Communications Platform team. The charter is to help athletes fall in love with Strava by showing them the value of our free and paid product. Our focus is to build growth capabilities and features that can be leveraged by multiple teams, helping athletes move through the user lifecycle.
In this role, you will collaborate across the company to continue to evolve the platform and processes that shape our growth product strategy, roadmap and the athlete experience on Strava. You will be responsible for some of the most important aspects of our athletes’ experience, including onboarding and activation, merchant data and insights, business management tools, and new platform opportunities. You will play a lead role in supporting the growth and development of a highly talented team that designs experiences our athletes love and rave about. Helping align team development with company goals and values, while continuing to evolve our design system, and being the champion for the voice of the athlete throughout the organization.
Strava is passionate about supporting our athletes and each of our employees by building equitable and inclusive policies, programs, practices and experiences. Our design leaders will share similar passions and will be committed to helping develop and incorporate inclusive and antiracist strategies into our culture, processes and product.
You will be successful here by:
- Having a highly collaborative and alignment-centric mindset with product leadership and growth organization leads to co-define future-looking initiatives.
- Leveraging your growth experience (and ideally exposure to subscription services) to help shape output + impact of all the growth work. Creating growth user journeys the company can stand behind.
- Fostering an environment that evolves our process by combining rapid experimentation, analytics, and user research. Building high quality, low friction experiences that athletes understand the value of, which move priority metrics you’ve helped create.
- Having an ability to think in terms of the user life cycle (reusability, consistency, and scale), and knowing when to pursue systems and frameworks vs one-of collaboration efforts with other orgs.
- Leaning on your leadership and coaching skills — energizing your reports to deliver excellent results. Keeping your team happy and engaged while supporting team balance through additional hiring.
- Having the ability to align high-quality design work with athlete delight, company objectives and a sense of a holistic and simple cross-app experiences.
We're excited about you because you:
- Have a growth mindset, passion for learning, and willingness to adapt and evolve your own perspective when collaborating with teammates who bring different backgrounds, perspectives, and expertise.
- Are experienced leading and supporting a design team through growth and change, and can orient towards positive business and athlete impact.
- Have experience partnering across the organization to help teams with complementary skills and perspectives (e.g. product management, engineering, qualitative research, data & analytics, customer support).
- Have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, a collaborative mindset, and an ability to persuade and inspire project teams, peers and stakeholders on the value of a people-centered design approach.
- Have a deep passion and understanding for people-centered design and methodologies, integrating multiple types of data into a singular strategic point of view (e.g. qualitative findings, market research, survey data, analytics, competitive landscape).
- Have 5+ years experience managing, supporting and growing experienced design teams.
- Have deep, hands-on experience and shareable examples leading a variety of projects from start to finish, across all stages of a product lifecycle (discovery to go-to-market). Leveraging business strategies, design thinking, and collaboration to balance user needs and business goals.
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.