Director, Process Engineering
Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! UPSIDE Foods is seeking a Director of Process Engineering, to oversee the design, development, and commissioning of our new FDA & USDA compliance facility. The individual will oversee the entire process design from inception to completion, ensuring that all stakeholders are satisfied and that the deliverables are delivered on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in process engineering, manufacturing, and regulatory compliance. This role will require strong leadership skills to ensure a timely deliverable of a facility that operates at peak efficiency while meeting all required standards within budget.
- Lead the design and development of the facility's manufacturing processes, including equipment selection, process flow, and layout
- Lead engineering activities in all project phases of the facility’s manufacturing processes including: feasibility/economic studies, conceptual design, identification and evaluation of alternative, front-end design, detail engineering, construction and startup/commissioning
- Develop and implement strategies to optimize production data efficiency and reduce costs in the manufacturing process, incorporating latest learnings into the new factory design process in the most efficient and effective manner possible
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to staff, may including hiring and training additional engineers and technicians as needed
- Collaborate with cross functional teams, including project management, engineering, MSAT, procurement, construction, and commissioning to ensure that project activities are aligned with overall project plan
- Ensure that all manufacturing processes are in compliance with, and documented to meet current industry standards within regulatory requirements including: FDA, USDA, EH&S, and other regulatory requirements
- Develop and manage the department's budget, including capital expenditures, project costs, and personnel expenses
- Travel will be required
- Masters degree or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or a related field; advanced degree preferred
- At least 12+ years of experience in process engineering, preferably in a regulated industry such as pharmaceuticals or food production
- In-depth knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations and experience designing processes that meet these requirements
- Experience leading cross-functional teams and managing staff in a manufacturing environment
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical information to non-technical stakeholders
- Strong analytical skills and experience using data to drive process improvements
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously
Who you’ll work with
- This role will partner with many functions in the company! It’s a rare opportunity to learn about all parts of the business and industry.
- While we expect growth in all functions in the next 1-2 years, this role will most frequently interact with our Engineering, Project Management, MSAT, Procurement, Manufacturing Operations, FSQA, Regulatory, and Facilities teams.
Key Contributions in First Year
- Build and lead process design team for the commercial facility build out.
- Procure long lead items and coordinate factory acceptance testings.
- Ensure project success by coordinating schedules and budgets as well as factory layout with all involved stakeholders.
Compensation Range: $126,750 - $230,000*
Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.