Director of Product Design
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
As a consumer product leader in our Guest pillar, you will help to build consumer-facing products designed to deepen the connection between restaurants and their guests. Working with Research, Engineering, Product Managers, and Marketing counterparts, you will develop a vision for how Toast can leverage our ever-growing digital ordering consumer base to reimagine the dining experience. You will coach, mentor, and guide a team of product designers to validate, refine, and execute on that vision. One of your goals will be to develop a deep understanding of the restaurant industry and the needs and pain points of restaurant owners, staff, and their guests. Based on that understanding, you and your team will create innovative experiences that delight consumers and become essential to restaurants. Additionally, evangelizing the team’s vision and progress to our executive leadership team and stakeholders will be a key component of this role.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Substantial product design experience focused on consumer-facing products
- Experience leading high-performing product design teams and identifying and developing exceptional product design talent.
- A track record of delivering experiences that go beyond single products, seeing how an ecosystem comes to life through design.
- An ability to zoom in and out of the work appropriately in order to understand how the design comes to life to solve problems in a measurable and meaningful way.
- A design and systems thinking “toolkit” of proven methods and problem solving skills that inspire the organization to put human centered design in the center of strategic decision making.
- Clear, concise, and persuasive communication, whether the audience is executive leadership, your direct reports, or your stakeholders.
- Experience in native mobile product design and a multi channel perspective is essential.
Special Sauce*: (Nonessential Skills/Nice to Haves)
- Your collaborative style inspires others to the point where people ask to work with you and your expertise and confidence have others seeking out your informed perspective.
- You’re passionate about maintaining a healthy work-life balance by scoping, setting expectations and maintaining your boundaries.
- You have a growth mindset - you see challenges as opportunities, believe feedback is a gift and can speak confidently about failures & what you learned from them.
Bread puns encouraged, but not required
Our Spread of Total Benefits:
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Commuter benefits
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.