Director of Operations
The Director of Operations is responsible for managing, directing, and implementing Operations’ strategies and objectives to ensure the achievement of company goals. Specifically, involving all manufacturing and distribution functions focusing on on-time delivery, cost of sales, quality, and gross margin, and proper staffing. Focuses for the long-term goals are the formulation, planning, and implementation of strategies. Responsible for the implementation of departmental policies and procedures that affect Operations.
- Manage the Operations function concurrent with: Business Growth, Introduction of new operational systems, Meeting operational financial objectives, Product mix change (Components/system), Meeting Company goals in relation to safety, quality, and on-time delivery of products.
- Assess and assist to upgrade the management talent base within Operations to achieve growth and meet market needs (i.e. continually review cost, shorter manufacturing/product introduction cycle times, and on-time delivery).
- Conceive, research, plan, target, and control cost and product lead times on existing and new products.
- Manage and assist in the coordination of efforts between support departments and operations.
- Participate in the implementation of advanced manufacturing technology to improve the cost of sales and promote on-time delivery.
- Coordinate needed support to Operations areas through the intra-departmental interface for smooth workflow and cost-efficient product.
- Continual improvement of customer satisfaction by meeting the customers’ needs of on-time and in-full shipments
- Participate in the implementation of new manufacturing processes, products, and systems technology to meet Company’s objectives.
- Administer and manage the Operations safety and quality to provide an adequate and safe working environment.
This description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job identified for the purpose of job evaluation. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job nor shall it be construed as giving exclusive title to every function described.
Titles of positions supervised:
- Manufacturing Department Managers
- Facilities & Shop Manager
- Distribution Manager
A diversified background with strong technical, business, and managerial skills. Decisions are made, based on inputs provided by superiors, subordinates, and peers, consistent with company goals.
Minimum job content knowledge: Facility operation, planning, and budgeting in a high-speed production environment. Knowledge of work methods and some indirect engineering.
Skills and knowledge required for this position would generally be acquired with a bachelor’s degree in business administration or industrial Engineering, followed by four or more years of successful experience in related subordinate management positions.
- Manages Complexity
- Decision Quality
- Optimizes Work Processes
- Organizational Savvy
- Plans and Aligns
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness
- Strategic Mindset
- Builds Effective Teams
- Drives Vision and Purpose