Director of Operations
The Director of Operations will be responsible for directing manufacturing and logistics activities to assure that Ayr delivers high-quality products while maintaining the most efficient product cost structure. The Director of Operations is accountable for meeting production demand that supports corporate top-line revenue while improving efficiency to bottom-line growth. This position is responsible for all day-to-day manufacturing operations, including purchasing, production planning, manufacturing, and shipping of quality products with continuous quality and process improvements to ensure attainment of operational goals, tactics, and priorities that drive business results with a focus on quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all day-to-day aspects of manufacturing operations, oversee scheduling, capital equipment maintenance, training, production planning, and logistics
- Responsible for meeting budgets in the areas of sales, expense, all Profit & Loss (P&L) categories, metrics, and overall facility contribution. Drives the overall financial performance of the facility by utilizing reporting tools and implementing strategies/tactics designed to improve performance.
- Work with the sales team to understand product demand, growth, and trends, convert this information to a functional manufacturing forecast
- Review production and scheduling plans to ensure they align with the product forecast
- Manage key vendor relationships, maintain inventory levels of key manufacturing components, and facilitate the flow of raw material from cultivation to manufacturing
- Ensure compliance with all manufacturing SOPs, review processing metrics and work to improve efficiency. Ensure quality assurance standards and metrics are maintained
- Work with the corporate team to facilitate commercialization of new products in the local market
- Maintain a strong presence in the field to effectively coach and support manufacturing teams
- Ensure manufacturing environments are brand-appropriate (i.e., positive, reassuring, energetic, encouraging, educational, and welcoming)
- Ensure operational priorities, processes, and procedures are communicated and understood
- Assure the cost-effective manufacturing of quality pharma-grade product
- Responsible for and working closely with the Director of Cultivation, Regional District Sales Manager, and the corporate manufacturing team, in the planning of all CAPEX projects
- Responsible for the successful coordination and execution of all capital improvement projects
- Communicate often and effectively with Retail and Wholesale Sales Teams to continually educate manufacturing crew regarding product knowledge and brand initiatives
- Partner with Compliance Team to monitor and maintain proper manufacturing compliance controls with all federal/state regulations
- Develop protocols with bill of materials and standard costing for ERP implementation
- Lead production and operational management teams ensuring collaboration and cross-departmental efficiencies.
- Plan and monitor the day-to-day operations to ensure no interruptions in production.
- Maintain a strong presence to effectively coach and support our cultivation and processing teams.
- Ensure manufacturing environments are brand appropriate (i.e., positive, reassuring, energetic, encouraging, educational and welcoming).
- Ensure operational priorities, processes and procedures are communicated and understood.
- Assure the cost-effective manufacturing of quality pharma-grade product.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain or related field required. Master’s degree preferred
- Supervised 25 or more associates in an FDA controlled, SQF or cGMP production environment
- Experience in the medical cannabis industry not required, but a plus
- A high-touch, credible, hands on, visible leader with instant credibility and inspiring to the team
- Demonstrated track record in team building and driving operational efficiencies
- 10+ years’ experience in manufacturing and logistics; bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Lean manufacturing or six sigma knowledge a plus
- Outstanding people skills, organizational skills, and a passionate leadership style
- Start-up experience, a plus
- Team player with the ability to gain consensus through collaboration and open dialogue
- A sense of urgency, high energy, and hands-on approach
- Ability to pass a background check. Current Driver’s license required
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
- Leadership - Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Contributes to profits and revenue
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly
Education – select one, remove remainder
- Bachelor's Degree in operations, manufacturing, or equivalent area of study preferred.
- Equivalent combination of work/education experience accepted
- 10+ years' experience in management, leadership, manufacturing and production
- Knowledge of inventory control, production operations, packaging operations, order management, performance metrics, costs, and other techniques.
- Possess sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, initiative, and attention to detail
This person may be exposed to dust, kief, cleaning chemicals, and fumes. Although systems are in place to remove these byproducts, there is still exposure to some degree. This person will be travelling between dispensaries and manufacturing facilities within AYR Wellness.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to move files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Frequently communicates with employees, supervisors and co-workers regarding HR related inquiries. You must be able to exchange absolute information.
- Constant movement and use of hands/fingers and limbs; this position requires good manual dexterity, coordination and stamina.
- Must be able to inspect documents and identify errors.
- Occasional lifting, positioning or moving items up to 50 pounds.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
At AYR Wellness, our vision is to be a force for good in all we do and to bring lasting positive change to our communities, our industry, and our world. And it wouldn’t be possible without our exceptionally talented team. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the uniqueness of each employee and supports their individual journey in finding their genius and pursuing their passion.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to pursuing our vision for the future, and we believe that our success is dependent on building a truly equitable, collaborative, and inclusive team. One that reflects the diversity of the communities that we serve.
In addition to a generous benefits package, and unparalleled career opportunities, as an employee at Ayr Wellness, you can expect to be provided with industry-leading training which will offer you an in-depth insight into the wonderful world of cannabis.