Director of Global Music Policy
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
The Government Affairs team is charged with understanding the global and local policy landscape in relation to Spotify’s business objectives and advocating on the company’s behalf on critical public policy issues. We represent the company before legislators and regulators, see around corners, and mitigate potential risks.
We are seeking to recruit an exceptional candidate to join our Government Affairs team as Director of Music Policy. In this role you will provide strategic advice and external advocacy on music policy-related matters that have an impact on Spotify in key markets around the globe. The position can be based in several locations and will work in a global context. You will report to the VP, Head of Global Government Affairs and Public Policy.
What You'll Do
- Spotify’s objective is to give a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it. In this role, you will advance that objective by:
- Setting the course for the company’s policy engagement strategy across a range of music and IP regulatory and policy areas in jurisdictions worldwide
- Working with business, legal, academic and other public policy experts to help craft the company’s position on changes in the fields of music and intellectual property
- Engaging with policymakers, legislators, and other external partners on relevant regulatory areas
Who You Are
- 12+ years experience dealing with music policy issues as well as related regulatory proceedings and law-making processes
- Strong knowledge of global digital music licensing regimes
- Relevant private or public sector experience (country-level intellectual property office or other Government) advising on relevant policy issues
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative, pragmatic approaches and business-focused solutions to regulatory challenges and developments, as well as proactive legislative and policy proposals
- A history of effective advocacy before a wide range of government officials
- Possess an understanding of the rapidly developing fields in technology and innovation, and a demonstrated ability to translate technical and legal concepts for different audiences
- A propensity for thinking strategically and a track record of achieving effective results
- Public speaking and writing about music policy issues a strong plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an absolute commitment to professionalism and collegiality
Where You'll Be
- This role may be based in our New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, or London offices
- Hybrid Office Mix (2-3x a week required)
Our global benefits
- Extensive learning opportunities, through our dedicated team, GreenHouse.
- Flexible share incentives letting you choose how you share in our success.
- Global parental leave, six months off - fully paid - for all new parents.
- All The Feels, our employee assistance program and self-care hub.
- Flexible public holidays, swap days off according to your values and beliefs.
The United States base range for this position is $206,545-$300,000, plus equity. The benefits available for this position include health insurance, six month paid parental leave, 401(k) retirement plan, monthly meal allowance, 23 paid days off, 13 paid flexible holidays, paid sick leave. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service.