Director of Finance
Verano Holdings is rapidly growing national, vertically integrated operator of licensed cannabis cultivation, manufacturing, and retail facilities. The main focuses of this role will be leading and building out Verano’s internal control function, defining and implementing a leading practice internal control environment, and helping drive Verano to be a more control conscious and compliant organization. This is a highly visible, cross-functional role that will be an integral part of developing internal controls over the financial reporting cycle, including periodic top-down scoping and risk assessment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build out an internal controls function from the ground up.
- Take ownership of the annual Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) audit process.
- Develop and maintain COSO Framework Structure and establishment of Risk and Controls Matrices, including annual documentation refresh and design evaluation.
- Establish self-testing and continuous controls monitoring to help accounting teams mature control operation.
- Lead controls remediation, with effective tracking and reporting of deficiencies through internal audit testing and monitoring.
- Coach, mentor, and train accounting personnel on internal control functionality.
- Segregation of Duties (SOD) oversight, remediation, and conclusion reporting.
- Oversee controls as it relates to M&A, integration and divestiture, and separation activities.
- Transition and develop standardized SOX risk and control matrices (RCMs).
- Actively participate in compliance, fraud, and enterprise risk management.
- Leadership involvement with other mega processes (i.e., OTC, STP, ATR, HTR, MTQ) to assure leading practice internal control over financial reporting (i.e., automated, preventive, continuous controls monitoring environment).
- Establish and maintain a continuous improvement culture including establishing methodologies, prioritization, and influencing and sponsoring broader regional initiatives.
- Work on special projects to identify strategic solutions to issues facing a fast-growing company.
- Participate in control design and redesign work due to transactions and acquisitions.
- Act as a liaison to external auditors, assisting in their completion of audits which can include but is not limited to integrated audits, statutory audits, benefit plan audits, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant major required.
- 10+ years’ experience in accounting, internal audit, and/or finance roles of increasing responsibility.
- True hands-on experience helping transform the maturity of the internal controls function.
- Possess a deep technical knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Microsoft Office, specifically in Microsoft Word and Excel, experience required.
- Experience in effective leadership, interpersonal communication skills capable of interacting with staff, peers, and senior leadership including the CEO, CFO, and General Counsel competently and effectively.
- Possess excellent problem-solving, time management, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced environment and flexible to daily changes.
- Must be at least 21 years of age, authorized to work in the USA, and willing to undergo a background check.
- MBA / CPA designation highly preferred.
- Public accounting and/or F500 public company experience preferred.
- Financial/accounting software experience, specifically SAP and Sage Intacct preferred.
- General knowledge of financial reporting systems, analytics, and dashboards is a plus.
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 10 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
Verano Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity, and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees, our markets, and our communities.