Director of Engineering
As the Director of Reddit’s Core Product, you will be responsible for the core experiences and service layers that Reddit uses to drive Reddit’s core loop of value, reinforcing the foundations of high quality contribution which is the heart of all of Reddit’s experiences. At scale, this team is responsible for all the content that shows up on Reddit and enables users to express their true selves through varied content types like posts, comments, video threads, profiles, and much more.
How You’ll have an Impact:
You will partner with a multitude of stakeholders to understand Reddit’s core experiences across all of our product lines and will guide the design and development of experiences that are fun and exciting for users, elevating the posting and commenting experience. You will be a key driver of the contribution vision, owning and driving the product and technical roadmaps for the division. You will drive a culture of technical excellence ensuring the right bets are taken with the highest quality.
You will be accountable for building, growing, and mentoring a world-class team of engineers to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone. The Director of Engineering should be passionate about an environment where technology is the key value driver for the business while partnering closely with diverse stakeholders. The right individual will be experienced in scaling large technology teams and creating and delivering a great experience across a broad user base.
This individual will be a key driver in the planning, development, and implementation of Reddit’s composite service architecture, and technology stack on the various platforms including desktop, mobile, and native applications (iOS and Android).
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, drive and execute a long-term vision and strategy for the contributor products organization to be leveraged by all our diverse user base.
- Successful history of working closely with product and business teams with a track record of excellent execution.
- Humble team player who is intensely competitive about winning as a team, and brings Reddit first in all decision making.
- Strong communicator with the ability to clearly and effectively articulate a compelling vision, generate hype and camaraderie, while delivering actionable feedback.
- Work closely with product to drive, prioritize, and realize impactful outcomes.
- Coordinate across product and cross-functional engineering teams to understand and widely accelerate core initiatives.
- Own the end-to-end ecosystem of Contribution systems and products, launching cutting edge experiences and evolving them to always be performance, reliable, and delightful for users.
- Challenge our technical stacks to always improve, utilizing the cutting edge to stay competitive.
- Lead, manage, and grow high-caliber engineering teams.
- Provide mentorship and growth opportunities for team members and leaders to evolve in their roles at a company scale.
- Utilize all tools at your disposal to hire, coach, promote, and retain the correct team compositions to achieve our goals, including attracting new talent.
- A hands-on technology leader who has expertise building high-traffic high-scale consumer systems.
- Set and support a culture of metrics-driven quality, with efficient processes and strong transparency.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to manage, mentor, and motivate a team.
- Help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone.
Who You Might Be:
- 6+ years of experience of managing teams of software and product engineers.
- 10+ years of experience developing internet-scale software, preferably in mobile native roles with enough backend distributed systems exposure.
- Professional experience and capability with scaled high-rate platform services and API design
- Track record of assembling high functioning organizations bolstered by strong organization processes.
- Strong ability to identify correct divisional priorities and ensure projects are kept on-schedule and on-mission.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
The base pay range for this position is:
$250,300 - $375,500 USD
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.