Director of Engineering
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, and chefs use Toast devices to serve millions of guests in their restaurants. To make our restaurants successful, we need to develop products that install painlessly, work together seamlessly, and quickly guide restaurant staff and Toast team members to resolve any problems that occur.
At Toast, Android isn’t just one of multiple mobile platforms -- Android is the foundational technology stack for our products. Toast even designs and sells our own specialized Android tablets so we can provide the best product experience to our customers.
This position sits at the intersection of Toast’s hardware and software. These teams are responsible for cloud based services, Android system applications and the Android OS layer that supports our continuously expanding fleet of devices in the field. Starting from the first time a device is provisioned until its end-of-life, the team takes a system-oriented approach crafting solutions that take software, hardware, user experience, people and processes into account to provide the best results for our users.
We are seeking a Director of Engineering for Device Software to lead teams in this exciting space. The leader will expand and evolve the organization to meet the demanding growth of the business and to build scalable products and processes for the future of Toast. They will lead and inspire teams to partner with the Hardware organization on the design and delivery of the next generation of world class products. As a key leader in the organization, this person will help define the technical strategy and roadmap for device software and build key relationships with our partners.
If you are a leader who collaborates well with other teams, can think big, and is passionate about building software systems used to manage hardware devices with a high focus on quality, this position is for you!
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Lead an organization of several teams focused on the growth and scale of device software at Toast. Enable, mentor and inspire teams to scale the business and deliver world class software for Toast customers
- Directly manage and mentor engineering managers and technical leads
- Partner with product management and technical leaders to establish long-term strategy and technical direction for the organization
- Identify talent needs and drive the recruiting process for the team. Hire world-class engineers and create professional growth opportunities for them
- Accountable for delivering business impact via sustainable and high-quality technical solutions
- Drive evolution of team processes through entire SDLC including planning, design, implementation, quality, release and support
- Develop systems to measure progress and monitor the health of the device fleet
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Extensive experience delivering products to a large customer base
- Experience with cloud computing, IoT devices, Android system applications and Android OS layer development
- Experience with Hardware development cycles and best practices
- History of delivering business impact with multiple teams
- Proven ability to build and grow teams through recruiting and professional development
- Collaborative and solution-oriented partner to business and product leaders
- Partner with Care to provide excellent customer support for our device fleet in production
- Manage local and remote development teams
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.