Director of Engineering
TED creates, produces and distributes audio and video media (most famously TED Talks) to millions of people around the world. As the Director of Front-End Engineering on TED's Technology team, you will have the opportunity to oversee the development of one of the largest stages in digital media. We strive to be on the cutting edge with our front-end toolchain and tech stack. You will direct teams of developers working with the latest and greatest technology to develop websites and apps which deliver TED content to millions of people around the world each day. The Director of Front-End Engineering collaborates with an amazing team of designers and product owners to take new features and products from conception to production.
- 8+ years in software engineering
- Proven record mentoring and growing more junior colleagues
- Firsthand experience working in both consumer internet technology, as well as enterprise tools
- Mission-driven and keen to support and grow our global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion; seek to broaden representation across tech in support of innovation. Believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world
- Strong communication, curiosity, collaboration, and perspective-taking skills. Eager to understand the cultures, values, goals, and constraints of others, whether they are TED staff, partners, users, or beyond
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment where we navigate the complexities of both scale (especially on ted.com) and crafted experience (especially for our conferences)
- Lead and manage a team of software engineers, including supporting their hiring, retention, career growth and professional development, and performance management
- Individually contribute directly to software development efforts across a range of projects and teams
- Lead the enablement of great developer experiences by implementing modern DevOps practices
- Serve as an escalation point on technical decisions that span multiple project areas, including technical architecture, programming languages, saas modules, deprecation decisions, and other technical strategic decisions
- In collaboration with product managers, designers, and functional leads, serve as a key connecter and coordinator between parts of the digital products team, as well as TED more broadly
- Contribute to TED’s overall success: the strength of our global communities, the relevance of our projects, and the impact of our ideas
Why work for us?
TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Everything we do is driven by this goal: How can we best spread great ideas?
In addition to driving forward TED’s mission and joining our dynamic Engineering team, we’re proud to provide strong employee benefits, including:
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Paid family leave
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you're eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- 401k with match
Workplace Conditions / Physical, Mental and Visual Demands:
- General: Office environment
- Physical: Repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Mental/Visual: Concentrated mental and/or visual attention
- Machines, Tools, Equipment, Electronic Devices, Computer Software, etc.
- Ability to use common office equipment such as telephone and computer
- Computer programs to include MS Office, Mac programs, Google Docs, functional related databases
- Travel: Upon request
Your location is flexible, but you’ll need to work US East coast hours.