Director of Engineering
At Webflow, our mission is to bring development superpowers to everyone. Webflow is the leading visual development platform for building powerful websites without writing code. By combining modern web development technologies into one platform, Webflow enables people to build websites visually, saving engineering time, while clean code seamlessly generates in the background. From independent designers and creative agencies to Fortune 500 companies, millions worldwide use Webflow to be more nimble, creative, and collaborative. It’s the web, made better.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering, Foundation reporting to the CTO, to lead our Productivity and Platform teams. These teams enable our internal engineering, product, and design organizations to build an integrated and extensible SaaS product by driving innovation and defining standards of quality. This individual would work closely with their counterparts in the Product Engineering and Design organizations while cultivating an environment of excellence, care, and curiosity
- Location: Remote-first (United States; BC & ON, Canada)
- Our cash compensation amount for this role ranges from $180,000 - $257,000 for most US locations and $208,000 - $286,000 for US locations with a higher cost of labor. All figures cited above are in $USD and pertain to workers located in the United States. Pay is based on several factors including market location, and may vary depending on job related experience, knowledge, qualifications, and skills.
- Reporting to the CTO
As a Director of Engineering, Foundation you’ll:
- Advocate for your team emphasizing career growth and personal development
- Scale your organization by partnering with Recruiting to attract and retain top talent
- Collaborate with cross-functional peers such as Product and Design to set goals and define business strategy
- Prioritize execution and support your team in delivering high-quality results
- Drive goal-setting with your team and how them accountable for results
- Create and iterate on processes to increase the effectiveness of your teams
- Guide your team to make sound architecture decisions and create an environment where technical innovation thrives
- Exemplify Webflow’s Core Behaviors in the pursuit of our audacious two-fold mission to democratize software development and enable team members to lead meaningful and impactful lives
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, at Webflow we will support you in identifying where your interests and development opportunities lie and we'll help you incorporate them into your role.
You’ll thrive as a Director of Engineering, Foundation if:
- You have 7+ years in a leadership role where you’ve managed managers and 4+ years as a technical individual contributor focused on delivering results for internal developers
- You have extensive technical experience engineering and developing internal design systems, accessibility features, frontend web infrastructure, and designing and advocating for coding standards and best practices within a globally distributed engineering organization
- You have led or been part of an engineering organization that develops highly technical solutions for web site publishing, DOM rendering, CSS style guides, and API libraries that provide extensibility features and functions
- You have a deep understanding of Agile fundamentals and the mental models that promote strong execution
- You have rapidly scaled teams and know how to develop and execute a growth strategy
- You are committed to cultivating an inclusive team culture
- You have managed geographically distributed teams
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Research shows that you may still be considered for a role if you meet just half of the requirements.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Obsess over customer experience. We deeply understand what we’re building and who we’re building for and serving. We define the leading edge of what’s possible in our industry and deliver the future for our customers.
- Move with heartfelt urgency. We have a healthy relationship with impatience, channeling it thoughtfully to show up better and faster for our customers and for each other. Time is the most limited thing we have, and we make the most of every moment.
- Say the hard thing with care. Our best work often comes from intelligent debate, critique, and even difficult conversations. We speak our minds and don’t sugarcoat things — and we do so with respect, maturity, and care.
- Make your mark. We seek out new and unique ways to create meaningful impact, and we champion the same from our colleagues. We work as a team to get the job done, and we go out of our way to celebrate and reward those going above and beyond for our customers and our teammates.
Benefits & wellness
- Equity ownership (RSUs) in a growing, privately-owned company
- 100% employer-paid healthcare, vision, and dental insurance coverage for employees and dependents (US; full-time Canadian workers working 30+ hours per week), as well as Health Savings Account/Health Reimbursement Account, dependent on insurance plan selection. Employees also have voluntary insurance options, such as life, disability, hospital protection, accident, and critical illness
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for both birthing and non-birthing caregivers, as well as an additional 6-8 weeks of pregnancy disability for birthing parents to be used before child bonding leave. Employees also have access to family planning care and reimbursement
- Flexible PTO with an mandatory annual minimum of 10 days paid time off, and sabbatical program
- Access to mental wellness coaching, therapy, and Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly stipends to support health and wellness, as well as smart work, and annual stipends to support professional growth
- Professional career coaching, internal learning & development programs
- 401k plan and financial wellness benefits, like CPA or financial advisor coverage
- Commuter benefits for in-office workers
Temporary employees are not eligible for paid holiday time off, accrued paid time off, paid leaves of absence, or company-sponsored perks.
Be you, with us
At Webflow, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. Employment decisions are made on the basis of job-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Not ready to apply, but want to be part of the Webflow community? Consider following our story on our Webflow Blog, LinkedIn, Twitter, and/or Glassdoor.
To join Webflow, you'll need valid U.S. or Canadian work authorization depending on the country of employment.
If you are extended an offer, that offer may be contingent upon your successful completion of a background check, which will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws. We may obtain one or more background screening reports about you, solely for employment purposes.