Director of Communications
NylasRemote21 days ago
**Only candidates who are residents in the following states OR willing to relocate to the following states will be considered: CA, CO, NY, OR, WA, TX, MA.
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 15TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 by a couple of MIT graduates who were passionate about making complex systems simpler. Co-founder and CTO Christine Spang saw that email use was growing at a steady rate, yet there wasn’t a simple way to unify this data-rich tool in a way that developers could easily integrate with this data. She and a small team (at the time) set out to fix this. Fast-forward to 2020, Nylas has successfully raised funding from Spark Capital, 8VC, ScaleUP, Round13, Citi Ventures, Slack Fund, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, and SV Angel. Nylas customers span from large enterprises such as Hyundai, Fox News Corp, Hubspot and Move.com to high-growth start-ups like Dialpad, Pipedrive, Lexicata, and Sparkpost.
Our Work Philosophy
Nylas is also a big believer in the safety and well-being of our employees and society, which is why we are onboarding all new Nylanauts remotely during this global pandemic until there is a vaccine and it is safe for humans to resume their pre-COVID lifestyles.
AND once COVID-19 pandemic eventually comes to an end, we will continue to embrace Remote First philosophy, with a minor twist: Remote First, Office Second. That's right! It's about how you work, not where you work. Nylanauts can choose any workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. It's true. They can go anywhere as long as they respect the working hours (time zones) of their team. Wherever motivates them; inspires them to be better versions of themselves. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Missoula before traveling to the beaches of San Diego. Wonderful!
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can. Go ahead! The workspace is there to be utilized.Why Remote First, Office Second? Because we not only believe in respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location. So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
2019 Great Place to Work
2019 Happiest Employees
2019 Best Leadership Team
2019 Best CEOs for Diversity
2019 Best Perks and Benefits
2019 Best Work-Life Balance
We’re looking for a trailblazer to be the Director of Communications for Nylas. In this role, you will build and lead a team that is responsible for the end-to-end management of all communications initiatives, inclusive of Public Relations, Media Relations, Analyst Relations, and Corporate Communications.
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing, this individual is an experienced communications leader and self-starter that is an exceptional brand storyteller and writer. In this role, you will lead communications for all product and corporate initiatives globally, from strategy to execution.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience driving communications campaigns for highly-technical products to technical audiences. This role is a team leader and will build and manage a team of direct reports within approximately 12 months. Full-service agency support is in place to support this leader and enable them to focus on strategic communications initiatives.
What You'll Do
- Conceptualizing, planning, executing, and optimizing all public, media, and analyst relations programs.
- Develop messaging materials, presentations, and spokesperson training programs that ensure Nylas and its team effectively communicate about our mission and impact in the world.
- Manage Nylas' engagement with business, tech, consumer, enterprise, and trade press; analysts; broadcast outlets; podcasts; and more.
- Establish and maintain regular communication with analysts and influencers on Nylas' strategy and product roadmap. Plan, schedule, and manage participation in analyst research, conferences, advisory days, briefings, inquiries, and reporting.
- Partner with marketing leads to design and oversee omni-channel campaigns that span owned, earned, and paid media channels.
- Setting and managing the department budget and optimizing resource deployments against OKR targets.
- Measure, synthesize, and presenting key findings from Communications initiatives to help inform short and long-term efforts to drive the business forward.
- Partner with our marketing, sales, success, and product teams on everything from mining story ideas to advocating for product and business outcomes on behalf of Nylas' community.
- Coordinate with Nylas customers on joint communications opportunities.
- Serve as on-record spokesperson for Nylas and coordinate rapid response efforts.
- Oversee external agencies/freelancers and manage performance against corporate targets.
What You'll Bring
- 10+ years experience with a minimum of 5 years of experience in managing Communications teams. Candidates with previous B2B technology SaaS experience strongly preferred.
- Equal hemisphere marketer - able to solve creative challenges while being heavily data-oriented.
- Experience managing earned marketing channels in concert to drive optimal results.
- Strong communicator with exceptional writing skills and the ability to present to executive audiences.
- Exceedingly collaborative but resourceful - capable of leading complex cross-departmental efforts while maintaining an “owner” mentality and driving through-put projects to completion.
- Proactive and creative problem-solver with the ability to identify problems and solve them collaborativelyHighly organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Player/coach - strategic thinker with the ability to roll up sleeves and execute.
- Exceptional EQ, communication skills, and ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships up, down, and across the organization.
- Willingness to wear multiple hats, and ability to deliver high-quality results in a rapidly-evolving environment.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): mandatory requirement to take 2 consecutive weeks of PTO off after your 6 month anniversary
- Healthcare: 90% of medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Retirement Plan: 401k & RRSP with a company match (super rare for a startup)
- Holidays: 14 paid annual holidays (New Year’s Day, Family Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Indigenous People's Day, etc)
- Personal Stipend: monthly health & wellness stipend via Zestful
- Education Stipend: annual education & development benefit
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Voting/Election PTO: 4 hours of paid time off to vote in person or volunteer at a polling place
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.