Director of Communications
Marshall Plan for Moms (MPM) is dedicated to advancing public and private sector policy changes to benefit moms and remove barriers to equality. We work to uplift and value the vital work of moms for our economy and society. We speak out, as moms, to improve opportunities for mothers throughout the United States. The organization is housed within the non-profit Girls Who Code and founded by Reshma Saujani, a long-time advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
The Communications Director will set and execute MPM’s external communications strategy, working across the entire communication portfolio, with an emphasis on media relations. The Director is responsible for developing all messaging for the organization, and leading executive thought leadership such as op-eds, talking points, and social media. In addition, the Communications Director will be responsible for overseeing the social media lead’s work creating and growing MPM’s social media presence.
A successful candidate will have more than 8 years of demonstrated communications, public relations and media engagement experience. You have a proven track record of managing all press strategy and activities including pitching, building and maintaining relationships with the press. The candidate should be savvy about social media and digital platforms and excited to guide the social media communications function. You have a reputation for building alignment, inspiring a culture of collaboration, and driving creativity and results. You are passionate about the power of storytelling, sophisticated about the media zietgeist, and committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality.
- Create and execute MPM’s communications strategy including setting and tracking key performance indicators
- Manage all press, public relations and media relations to secure high-impact press for the organization and its spokespeople.
- Prepare organizational spokespeople for all external engagements, including media opportunities and speaking engagements
- Write press releases, talking points, remarks, briefing documents, and blog posts in support of MPM’s and the CEO & Founder’s thought leadership
- Oversee work of the social media lead in establishing and growing MPM’s social media presence as well as other consultants as needed
- Act as MPM’s chief storyteller and own all messaging, creating compelling narratives to center moms in the national conversation and positioning MPM at the center of that dialogue
- Own a cross-channel editorial calendar, voice, and vision, which leads to a steady drumbeat of press, op-eds, speaking engagements, and social media content
- Coordinate the MPM’s email marketing and develop a regular email cadence for the MPM’s coalition partners, supporters, and fans
- campaign, at a public relations agency, a consumer brand, or a mission-driven organization
- Exceptional track record of landing stories in the press that meet the moment
- Demonstrated leadership experience managing communications teams toward ambitious goals
- Experience supporting high level executives in managing their various communications needs
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required
- Experience supporting those engaged in creating, scheduling, analyzing, listening and engaging with an organization’s social media content
- Reputation for building alignment and inspiring a culture of collaboration; desire to learn and grow
- Innovative spirit and willingness to try new things, pivot, and learn from mistakes
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization, and attention to detail
- Team player with a flexible, creative, and analytical approach to problem solving
- Passionate about storytelling and savvy about social media
- Committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality and the values of diversity, equity and inclusion
Marshall Plan for Moms is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Marshall Plan for Moms is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. MPM is not able to sponsor employment visas.