The Director, State Government Relations role is responsible for developing, executing and managing state and local government relations objectives for Equifax for several states likely to include Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and perhaps others. You will be responsible for lobbying and advocating with legislators, Governors and state agencies on behalf of Equifax priorities. You will also be accountable for identifying business risks and opportunities and developing strategies to ensure advancement of business priorities and public policy goals. This contributor role will have a continual focus on increasing the presence and reputation of Equifax across assigned states while finding strategic alignment between business objectives, government programs and other trends. You will be responsible for managing state government relations priorities in the region, providing sound legislative and regulatory advice, collaborating with other Directors and business leaders, as well as other activities as directed by the Senior Director, West, U.S. Government Relations.
This position will be remote based preferably in Des Moines; Olympia, Washington or another capital within the aforementioned states.
Who is Equifax?
At Equifax, we believe knowledge drives progress. As a global data, analytics and technology company, we play an essential role in the global economy by helping employers, employees, financial institutions and government agencies make critical decisions with greater confidence.
We work to help create seamless and positive experiences during life’s pivotal moments: applying for jobs or a mortgage, financing an education or buying a car. Our impact is real and to accomplish our goals we focus on nurturing our people for career advancement and their learning and development, supporting our next generation of leaders, maintaining an inclusive and diverse work environment, and regularly engaging and recognizing our employees. Regardless of location or role, the individual and collective work of our employees makes a difference and we are looking for talented team players to join us as we help people live their financial best.
The Perks of being an Equifax Employee?
- We offer excellent compensation packages with market competitive pay, comprehensive healthcare packages, 401k matching, schedule flexibility, work from home opportunities, paid time off, and organizational growth potential.
- Grow at your own pace through online courses at Learning @ Equifax.
What You’ll Do (3-5 bullet items small introduction recommended)
- Support Equifax Workforce Solutions Government business by advocating for and expanding states’ use of Equifax products and services, including verifications, credit data, and identity and fraud solutions, through legislative and regulatory engagement.
- Build and leverage working relationships with key lawmakers, regulators and state agencies within region, to create new sales opportunities while also protecting existing contracts.
- Identify and manage legislation and regulations within region that could create value or cause strategic harm to Equifax’s business, customers and communities.
- Develop legislative strategies and positions supporting Equifax’s government relations objectives, which include development of policy briefing documents, legislative testimony, amendments, comments and policy white papers as needed
- Work with the relevant state managers at the Consumer Data Industry Association
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in state government, government relations, government affairs, or direct lobbying required
- Bachelor's degree from a 4-year college or university preferred, or will consider equivalent experience
- Thorough understanding of the legislative/political process
- Proven track record of government relations accomplishments
- Ability to work with a remote team while staying connected to a broader government relations team
- Travel 25% up to 50% during busy times of the year
*Required skills should be measurable and concrete. Experience can be easily identified on a resume.
Extra Points for any of the Following
- Knowledge of government benefits programs and contracts preferred, but not required
- Legal research experience
- Related experience as an attorney or relevant legal background looking to move over to a corporate government relations position
- Experience working in state government - legislative or agency like Health and Human Services and/or Workforce Services
Success Attributes of an Equifax employee; does this describe you?
- Think and act differently
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If this sounds like somewhere you want to work, don’t delay, apply today - we’re looking for you!
Function - Legal