Dole Packaged Foods is a purpose led nutrition and wellness organization that “champions a more equitable world.” A world where everyone has the right to nutrition from the goodness of the earth and we reduce these gaps, one action at a time.
We are searching for a highly motivated and strategic Marketing Director to join us in transforming our Company into a world-class nutrition and wellness organization. Our portfolios consist of a wide variety of products such as snacks, beverages, canned and frozen fruits, smoothie blends, and frozen snacks. The candidate will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management of the Snacking portfolio and related P&Ls. Core responsibilities include day-to-day business operations of this category, managing the P&L, identifying white space gaps for category innovation, developing US market adaptation strategies for global innovation plans and creating/executing annual operating/marketing plans that lay out a clear vision and drive sustainable sales and profitable growth. The candidate will be exposed to challenging opportunities within highly competitive categories and rapidly changing market conditions and must be well suited for this type of environment. As such, an entrepreneurial mindset is a must.
The ideal candidate is a proven marketer that thrives working with and leading cross functional teams, is ready to hit the ground running, has a great attitude, enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, exerts strong leadership skills and exhibits initiative and a sense of urgency to deliver goals. Challenging the status quo and pursuing new ideas and ways of thought will be essential to this role. Above all, this individual must be passionate for and highly motivated by our organization’s belief that everyone, no matter who or where they are, has the right to healthy food, nutrition, wellness and overall wellbeing and that we can help solve this problem.
This role provides flexibility to work in a hybrid environment of home and our Westlake Village, CA office.
- Provide strategic direction and guidance for a growing portfolio of products marketed primarily in the grocery, mass, and club channels. Will also be responsible for formulating a channel expansion strategy to extend the brand’s presence beyond its current footprint and customer base to drive growth and reach new customers/consumers.
- Lead all new product efforts and pipeline development, including product strategy, generating and testing new product concepts, overseeing the commercialization process, and creating market launch plans to guarantee success in the marketplace.
- Identify industry, consumer and competitive trends and make recommendations for action plans and programs based on key learnings, both immediate and longer term.
- Establish priorities and strategic direction for all marketing activities including advertising, promotions, packaging, sales and trade marketing.
- Ensure brand messaging and positioning is consistent across all touch points and lead our marketing agencies to deliver holistic and break-through marketing plans and creative.
- Work with Sales to create and execute sales plans for key customers to significantly grow market share and product distribution while improving customer profitability.
- Maintain full P&L responsibility, with the ability to forecast, react to, and deliver financial performance according to quarterly and annual financial objectives and commitments.
- Provide direction and coordinate with other functions such as consumer insights, sales, manufacturing, procurement, distribution, legal and finance as necessary.
- Lead and develop the marketing team of 2-4 Business Managers, partnering with them to create imaginative marketing plans, product innovations and a thorough understanding of the consumer and trade.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience, Knowledge, & Skills You Bring:
- Minimum 8+ years of brand management experience within the consumer-packaged goods industry, with a proven track record of increasing responsibility and achieving extraordinary results both individually and by leading teams.
- Experience marketing products with health and wellness related benefits to a diverse set of channels and consumers, including traditional grocery, mass, club, natural and e-commerce.
- Proficient and effective at leading marketing agencies in strategy and creative development for fully-integrated marketing communications, driven by both paid and earned media.
- Significant new product development experience, from the ideation phase through commercialization supported by successful consumer adoption and market results.
- Proven success at identifying and executing positioning and product renovation efforts to revitalize or turn around mature and/or commoditized products and categories.
- Capable of successfully penetrating new customers and channels to drive growth by utilizing insights and unique product features (flavors, packaging, etc.).
- The ability to effectively communicate with and motivate the Sales team by developing and delivering clear direction as it relates to product line and channel strategies, and portfolio, pricing and promotional optimization.
- In depth understanding of retailers and broker network, with clear evidence of the ability to call on customers and manage brokers to achieve distribution and merchandising goals.
- Strong presentation skills, including the ability to develop and communicate compelling selling stories and strategic plans, both to customers and business partners. Ability to present to and gain consensus from senior management concerning direction, milestones and project investments.
- Strong familiarity with the entire P&L, with the ability to assess and perform financial analysis related to pricing, volume, margins, and spending.
- An expert at leading the annual planning and budgeting process (both near and long-term plans).
- Demonstrated operations experience (supply chain, production, R&D/product development, sensory, packaging/label development, etc.) for food related categories.
- Thorough knowledge of consumer goods regulatory considerations specifically as it relates to product formulation and marketing claims.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and syndicated data (IRI or Nielsen).
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Passionate about a purpose driven career
- Exudes an entrepreneurial and creative spirit
- Thinks differently and has the desire to convince others to do so as well
- Employs a strategic approach to each and every task
- Thinks big, but acts practically
- Is hand-on but can delegate effectively
- Can multi-task and prioritize without losing focus
- Flexible enough to deal with anything but still stay the course
- Can effectively communicate (be heard by others) as well as listen
- Is a team player at heart, but independent and decisive
- Is results oriented and accountable by nature
- Is able to lead others but be led when appropriate
- Has the courage to step up when others won’t
- Is fair, honest, respectful and ethical first and foremost
- Is smart, but humble
Education & Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or Communications required. MBA highly desired.
- Ability to sit and use the computer for extended periods of time; ability to answer phones and use a variety of office equipment; ability to lift 15 pounds and reach overhead.
- 10-20% travel expected
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
FOR JOBS BASED IN CALIFORNIA:
Hiring Pay Scale: $185,000 to $200,000
Dole Packaged Foods is committed to paying our Associates fairly and equitably. The pay rate offered will consider a wide range of factors, including but not limited to experience, education, accomplishments, and location. Pay scales are subject to review on a regular basis and will be updated as appropriate.