Director IT Operations
The Director IT Operations is a focal point for all enterprise-wide shared services in support of enterprise projects, along with responsibility for the management of production operations and distributed systems environments. In addition to ensuring stable, reliable, cost-effective, timely, and responsive production systems for the company, this position must ensure that all aspects of shared services are properly implemented and managed to help ensure fulfillment of Matson’s IT strategy.
The individual also establishes operations objectives and assignments, and delegates assignments to direct reports; establishes and recommends changes to policies that may have a companywide impact; develops and administers budgets and ensures that budgets meet operational requirements.
The individual interacts with all levels of users in the company, including senior executives. They will serve as the escalation point for any problems related to business applications in production and be responsible for the overall performance of the production systems. The individual:
- Sets enterprise level service level agreements (SLA) to properly monitor support and services.
- Follows best practices related to service management (problem management, change management, etc.).
- Publishes and presents performance metrics to IT senior management.
- Participates in the development and testing of disaster recovery plans to ensure business continuity in the event of a disaster.
- Provides guidance and direction to less experienced staff.
What you'll do:
- Actively manage all production support activities related to problem management, change management, disaster recovery, and systems performance; provide 24X7 support for production systems; assess production support processes, recommend, and put into practice procedures that will improve the availability, stability, and reliability of production systems; work effectively with vendors and service providers; implement objectives and strategies to effectively support all internal users; Directly or indirectly assist other groups in IT services to help them complete their specific tasks; Follow and enforce IT corporate standards and policies; provide support for SOX IT general controls audit; Identify and implement innovations to improve customer service, quality of solutions delivered, and to reduce IT costs; recruit, develop and motivate and terminate (if necessary) operations staff capable of performing production support; manage the shared software services group budget.
- Play a leadership role in developing standards and procedures to ensure that all service levels related to production operations are met or exceeded. Proactively identify and resolve resource conflicts, set priorities for multiple simultaneous projects and identify technical and business risks and define appropriate controls to mitigate such risks.
- Participate on the IT Services senior management team in driving the cultural transitions required in driving a more disciplined approach to IT. Participate in creating a business plan in alignment with Matson’s business goals, execute the governance processes to ensure initiatives are properly run, sell this disciplined approach throughout IT, correcting behaviors as necessary to ensure alignment. Help managing the integrated business plan deliverables, creating an environment of passion and accountability. Flawlessly manage his / her budgets, and continuously seek cost cutting opportunities across the group.
- Actively manage all infrastructure (network, compute and storage) managed by IT Services at Matson’s 63 sites worldwide. They is expected to provide management as well as technical leadership supporting voice and data network infrastructure, and enterprise-wide systems and services which may be internally hosted or outsourced. The incumbent is expected to play a leadership role in the identification, evaluation, selection, and design of enterprise level technical solutions supporting Matson applications initiatives and/or the technical network infrastructure, including network connectivity best suited for Cloud solutions, and will direct Request for Proposal processes.
- Actively manage all DBA activities related to problem management, change management, disaster recovery, and systems performance; provide 24X7 support for production systems; assess production support processes, recommend, and put into practice procedures that will improve the availability, stability, and reliability of production systems; work effectively with vendors and service providers; implement objectives and strategies to effectively support all internal users; provide support for SOX IT general controls audit; Identify and implement innovations to improve customer service, quality of solutions delivered, and to reduce IT costs; recruit, develop and motivate and terminate (if necessary) DBA staff capable of performing production support.
- Manage AWS environment for large applications projects. Complete all AWS activities on time and within budget. Participate in all phases of SDLC and deliver high-quality AWS services for all large applications projects, leveraging off-shore Ops and DBA resources as appropriate to reduce costs. Ensure AWS best practices are followed. Review AWS documents to ensure consistency, accuracy and compliance with enterprise directions.
You have these skills:
- Demonstrated ability to stay current in software development best practices, both for build and buy projects, and the ability to apply these best practices in optimizing Matson’s SDLC processes.
- AWS background and expertise required.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
And these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus.
- At least seven (7) years related experience.
- Project management experience required.
- Experience leading teams required.
At Matson, we're looking for people to build a unified team to maintain our values of trust, integrity, and reliability. We welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and thoughtfully challenge assumptions.
Matson is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, AIDS/HIV status, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including, but not limited to, the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.