MLB Network seeks a senior Information Technology leader with extensive team building and management experience for this 24/7 broadcast Television and content creation network. The Director, Information Technology will be responsible for managing and upgrading the back-office and working in conjunction with Engineering counterparts maintaining and upgrading Broadcast infrastructure, applications and appliances. The Director of Information Technology will be responsible for ensuring that best practices and a unified technical vision are implemented across all existing and future applications and systems.
The incumbent must have strong network architecture and design acumen. Knowledge of “big data” storage (SANs) and retrieval for a tapeless environment is a must. The incumbent will support on air and office applications. Strong project management skills, sound data management ability and security expertise are essential. The candidate should be hands on and will manage a large staff. Effective planning, communication, and people management skills are essential. The majority of application development/modification will be handled by vendor partners but some will be done in-house so leading those efforts will be a part of the role.
- Enterprise systems are the center of the Company’s back office and broadcast LANs and servers. It is extremely important to the Company that these Enterprise systems offer the highest level of availability, reliability and performance. Specifically, the Director of IT is responsible for:
- Manage the IT infrastructure for the Network’s backbone connectivity.
- Oversee IT security with best practice techniques and software/hardware solutions.
- Create, administer and manage IT OPEX budget and request appropriate Capital requests. Both of these will require adapting, as the Company’s needs change. Analyze business needs of the Company as they relate to IT.
- Manage, mentor, and develop the IT staff. Direct, delegate and prioritize assignments, workloads, and schedules.
- Manage the Service Desk and make certain to provide a high level of client support.
- Initiate change where necessary.
- Attract and retain “A” players to the IT organization.
- Maintain a domestic and global vision for the IT organization.
- Manage/design/architect required use-specific solutions.
- Work closely with our internal and external application partners to ensure that the solutions provide a robust, consistent, and responsive environment.
- Work collaboratively with the MLB Network Engineering team to support project implementations and the existing broadcast environment.
- Work collaboratively with MLB League office and other business units to build effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Other such duties as required.
- Operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Applications including, but not limited to: AirWatch MDM, Service Now, Manage Engine desktop imaging, MS Office suite, Kaspersky, Red Hat, Symantic anti-virus/encryption, SolarWinds, AutoCad, Argo Medea, Broadway, Morpheus, AP ENPS, VIMBIZ, and other Television content specific programs or applications.
- Network/WiFi systems: Cisco (Nexus and Catalyst), Arista, Cisco, Meraki and Aruba VPN appliances
- Working knowledge of storage appliances: NetApp, Isilon, , SL-8500 T10K-D\LTO-8 tape robot, and smaller sub-systems.
- Back-up: In conjunction with MLB business units using Veeam based or other solutions.
- Security appliances: Checkpoint firewalls, IronPort, F5 VPN appliances, Cisco web monitoring tools, Fortinet, endpoint protection systems, and other solutions.
- Packet shaping: Excinda
- Databases: Primarily SQL and some Oracle.
- Servers: Cisco UCS, Dell, HP and Enterprise replication server. Virtual server solution is VMWare.
Skills & Experience
- 15 years’ experience in IT infrastructure (hardware, systems administration, messaging, web-servers, networking, and database administration).
- Experience in broadcast television environment a must .
- Demonstrate the tact, diplomacy, decisiveness, and superior people skills required in the pressurized environment of live television
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to articulate and embody a vision to your staff.
- Ability to rapidly and effectively shift priorities and direction as business needs dictate.
- Strong organizational, collaborative, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Passion for success and client satisfaction. 10 years’ experience managing IT infrastructure.
- Cisco CCENT, CCNA, and CCDP certifications necessary. CCIE a plus.
- Strong large and small team management experience is a must.
- Experience with LAN use of multi-cast, uni-cast, and spanning tree parameters.
- Experience working closely with a development manager and their team.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-call availability. Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Collaborative and effective vendor negotiations and partnership skills a must.
- Strong Network architecture and design skills are essential.
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally as required.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Possess the manual dexterity to effectively operate keyboard/mouse on computers, edit equipment, etc.
- Possess the visual acuity needed to effectively deliver required work product.
- Possess the auditory acuity needed to effectively deliver required work product.
- Ability to sit, stand, kneel, bend, twist, and turn for sufficient lengths of time in order to effectively deliver required work product.
Education: A. or B.S. in the field of Computer Science, Information Systems, or comparable experience.
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB's mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy