Director, Global Sustainability
Spring House, PA
The Director, Global Sustainability Will Be Part Of The Enterprise Sustainability Team Responsible For Crafting Environmental Sustainability Strategies And Integrating These Into Our Janssen Business Priorities And Goals, Working Closely With A Broad Group Of Internal And External Partners.
We Are Seeking An Individual Who Is Highly Passionate About Sustainability And Abreast Of Healthcare Sustainability Trends & Insights To Take Proactive Initiative To Understand And Address The Sustainability Needs Of Key Customers Across The Regions. They Will Also Develop The Case And Value Proposition For Janssen, And Drive Alignment With Key Senior And Mid-Level Business Leaders And Multi-Functional Partners. This Person Will Stay On Top Of External Trends And Customer Insights, Assess Needs & Gaps, Define Key Priorities For Sustainable Products & Solutions, Will Lead The Integration Of Sustainability Into The Business. In Addition, This Role Will Help To Position Janssen As A Leader In Sustainability In Relevant Industry Groups, Conferences And Thought Leadership Platforms.
Strategy & Governance
- Own the development, refinement, and governance of the Janssen environmental sustainability strategic framework, aligned with the enterprise strategy, including integrating into the overall Janssen ESG strategy.
- Lead the development of a set of business-aligned, segment-specific, internal, and public-facing product environmental sustainability goals and gain commitment of business leaders.
- Support the business on these commitments in generating metrics, dashboards, and reviewing associated processes.
- Trigger, guide and support internal and external collaboration to co-create, implement, and maintain functional, multi-functional and industry level strategies & roadmaps.
- Proactively establish connections and partnerships with key Janssen and enterprise business leaders to build the value case for integrating sustainability into segment business strategies and priorities.
- Create new value creation proof-points, case studies and internal/external stories to showcase the value of sustainability for our Janssen customers and partners.
- Support global, regional & local sustainability teams and leaders, and ensure alignment with the global Janssen and overall enterprise strategy.
- Develop the budget required to facilitate and support the required initiatives to advance the Janssen sustainability program.
- Engage with our regional / global commercial and innovation teams to identify unmet customer sustainability needs and provide support to prioritize the project portfolio to deliver on these needs.
- Monitor the dynamic and growing external trends and stakeholder expectations for sustainability and identify relevant insights that help us stay competitive and to future proof our business.
- Support global customer inquiries and work with internal stakeholders to address customer tender questions related to product sustainability.
- Identify our needs to evolve our sustainability capabilities, processes and data requirements related to product transparency/disclosure.
- Use expertise and share best practices to drive global standardization and creating a level playing field.
- Support our communication teams in crafting our stories and our internal and external communications strategy.
- Connect to the external environment through active membership with industry for trade associations, non-profit groups, and key opinion leaders to shape emerging policies, drive industry collaboration, and demonstrate thought leadership of Janssen.
Sustainable Products & Solutions
- Support the development of strategies, tactical plans, and roadmaps to drive circularity, to design out waste and pollution, to keep products and materials in use, and regenerate natural systems.
- Partner with workstream leads/DRI’s and our environmental sustainability SMEs in achieving our targets towards more sustainable products and solutions.
- Enable the generation of environmental sustainability insights by helping to shape the future Janssen Environmental Life Cycle Assessment (ELCA) program.
- Assure internal and external sustainability requirements are institutionalized in the Product Development process and the Life Cycle Management of our product portfolio.
- Support the development and execution of a long-term product sustainability data strategy and ensure data analytic solutions are embedded into our business processes & systems.
- Partner with product development and other teams to integrate environmental sustainability into their decision-making processes by developing and/or supporting the execution of impact assessment methodologies and tools.
The Director, Global Sustainability will be a great partner with key internal customers, primarily within our Chemical and Biotherapeutic Development teams, the Design & Innovation teams, Procurement, Supply Chain, Deliver, Commercial, GA&P, EH&S, Technology, and other supporting services, as well as with Enterprise Environmental Sustainability experts. S/he will represent Janssen in product sustainability related industry initiatives & trade associations and will manage the relationships with academia and consultants.
- A bachelor’s degree (or University equivalent)
- Minimum of 10 years of leading initiatives with multi-functional teams
- Strong experience in customer engagement, strategy development and/or environmental sustainability in the healthcare sector
- High efficiency in project management, change management and/or process improvement
- Ability to influence without authority and help drive ground-breaking change
- Strong collaboration skills and ‘one team’ mindset
- Proven track record to work and communicate effectively and eloquently with multiple stakeholders at different levels in complex business settings
- Experience in driving efficiency, project prioritization, simplification, standardization of work
- Learning agility and speed along with a natural curiosity
- This position may require up to 10% domestic & international travel
- A master’s degree (or other Advanced degree) or a degree in a scientific background
- People leadership experience
- Financial acumen and business case development
- Comfortable in dealing with ambiguity
- Experience as an end-to-end business thinker and leader
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.