Director, Financial Specialist
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$92,000.00 – $151,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Under General Direction, responsible for directing the execution of financial reporting, control and analysis for assigned business or function. Position does not manage others. General Direction: Establishes procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives in a broad area of work. Generally final results are reviewed.
What Will You Do?
- Synthesize and present exhibits, results, observations, recommendations to business partners and management, including formal presentations.
- Design, prepare, evaluate and validate more complex internal and/or external financial and operating reports, both routine and ad-hoc, to support tactical business objectives. In addition, review and approve less complex reports and analyses prepared by others.
- Perform, review and approve analysis and interpretation of trends and variances in business performance, interacting with business partners. Execute identified analyses in light of business objectives.
- Engage with business partners to develop and create overall financial plan in conjunction with business plan and forecast for the organization (annual, ongoing and long term).
- Engage with business partners to support overall strategic plan and incorporate competitor and market intelligence into analysis, including internal cost benefit analysis of investments (where appropriate).
- Apply complex accounting and financial concepts and controls to provide subject matter expertise in the development, implementation or enhancement of financial, operations and business applications.
- Identify, use and/or assign others on the appropriate tools to obtain, compile and analyze complex data necessary to support robust financial reports and analysis, and initiate tool utilization enhancements.
- Review external financial statements including, but not limited to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles).
- Develop, perform and certify financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Support supplier management by providing input to manager and business partners in assessing risk, reviewing contracts, and monitoring results.
- Review and approve more complex financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- Typically 6+ years related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts, principles, processes and applications.
- Thorough Knowledge: Possesses advanced knowledge of subject matter in order to solve unusual as well as common work problems.
- General knowledge of the insurance business.
- Advanced analytic skills.
- General knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Intermediate to advanced data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced time management/ prioritization skills.
- Advanced ability to solve problems and suggest solutions.
- Advanced problem solving and decision making skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Intermediate influencing of business partners
- Intermediate business perspective including some understanding of the political nature of the organization.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Intermediate ability to think strategically.
- Ability to identify customers needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Intermediate ability to present material concisely.
- Advanced skill/competency level: demonstrates advanced knowledge and ability; can apply the competency in new or complex situations. May guide other professionals.
What is a Must Have?
- Minimum of 4 years of related experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.